1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New BTB vs. 55-01..Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Apr 27, 2002.

1. I am having a tuff time deciding. I played one of the new BTB 515 with the Bartolini's and preamp and liked it. I have never played the 55-01 but like what I am hearing a lot. I just can't decide. The 55-01 seems like I could get it for cheaper, but I have never played one. Anyone have any comments to offer on the tone?? i.e. similar or very different?? Build and/or reliability?? Thanks for any comments!

jtbp

2. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I can't compare then exactly, but I can come close... I have a 55-01 as well as a BTB405. I can't speak for the sound, as the 55-01 is on it's way back from lakland after having the preamp upgrade, and I got the BTB after the 55-01 shipped out. But I can say they have a similar feel as far as playability... I feel like they are similar, even with the deviation between the body styles and the electronics... I think that the tone for the 55-01 will be a little warmer, a little smoother... I think that both are really well built, and surprising deals for the money.... I don't think that you could really do wrong going either way.... Of course, you should probably know that the BTB is really the backup for the Lakland. I am sure when I get the 55-01 back the BTB woll probably start collecting some dust...

P@

3. Thread revived from the dead..

Anyone compare a BTB to the 55-01 recently? Specifically a BTB555? Thoughts?

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    They both have Bartolini MK-1 pups, but the BTB has a more flexible preamp because of the variable mid control. It weighs between one and two pounds less. I also think it's better looking, but then I like a contrasting combination of woods. Another thing I think the BTB has going for it over the 55-01 is that the pickups are farther apart. I found that there wasn't enough of a tonal difference between the pups on the 55-01. These things sold me on the BTB.

However...

The 55-01 has a killer B string! If your goal in getting a 5-string is to have a great sounding B that balances well with the other strings, then the 55-01 is your choice. I also think that the construction details on the 55-01 are better. There was a couple of gaps around the neck pocket on my BTB - nothing that detracted from the sound or threatened the stability of the neck, but it didn't look good. I also like the foil shielding in the control panel. Finall, the 55-01 will have a higher resale value than the BTB.

Overall, I like the features, looks, and sound of the BTB better than the 55-01. I think the 55-01 is a more "professional" instrument.