1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Build Competition?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HaMMerHeD, May 20, 2012.

Build-Off?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2012.
  1. Plain Jane : 4-string fretted, bolt-on

55 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. EUB : Electric upright bass, any configuration

11 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Hippy Sandwich : 5+ strings, laminated body and neck, etc.

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  4. No/Other/Carrots

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I think it's time for the Luthier's Corner to have another build competition. They have, in my somewhat worthless opinion, been the most informative and entertaining threads in the LC.

Here are my thoughts on it:

Open to all skill levels, but 3 tiers of voting:

Professional -- Makes at least a portion of his or her living by building guitars/basses
    Amateur -- Not a professional, but a person with a few builds under his or her belt
    n00b -- first or second build

Obviously, the level of participation from folks around here would be the limiting factor on categories, voting and judging.

For the build type, I have a few ideas.

Plain Jane : 4-string fretted, bolt-on.
    EUB : Electric upright bass, any configuration
    Hippy Sandwich: 5+ strings, laminated body and neck, etc.

My personal vote would be for an EUB, mostly because we don't see very many around here.

Thoughts?

2. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'd enjoy another build off. Perhaps instead of limiting the type of instrument use the 3 categories of experience that you mentioned. That way you could build an eub and I can do my six string. ;) Everyone can bring whatever build they want but choose a category to compete in. That should allow more people to enter instead of limiting folks to a certain type of build.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    A fair point and a good idea, Mr. B.

4. I enjoyed the last competition, count me in. I think we should pick some very basic guideline though, so that that at least we're judging the same sport. I think we really saw a nice range of æsthetics and build styles with the very basic 'fretless five string' restriction. Judging an EUB against a 6 string's kinda apples and oranges, IMHO.

...I think the 'Plain Jane' category wuold bring a lot of people into the fray.

5. aronnes71

aronnes71

Jan 4, 2010
    Alta, Norway
    I have been waiting for another build competition, count me in.
    I really liked the last comp with the max price, but would go for a EUB comp aswell.

It will be for fun and learing experience for me. When I think of it, I need a fretless 4stringer....

Bring it on, I can donate one pound of some nice Norwegian candy for prive ;)

Cheers
    Tore

6. Budget build!

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Donate some tørrfisk! That's a prize that'll make a memorable impression. ;)

8. If we were to have several categories, I see two problems depending on which rules we lay out. One is apple/orange thing. The other, if we have separate competitions on each challenge, is whether there will be enough builders on each challenge to make a proper competition.

But it would be nice to have maybe a single but slightly more open category?
    Or a theme like that you could interpret in your own way on what ever type of build. The goal will be to make the nicest build that delivers a creative take on the theme.
    ..or something like that. What do you think?

9. throughthefire

throughthefire

Oct 1, 2010
    Utah
    Only if you throw in some breath mints with it! :D

10. How about 3 classes. 100 or less, 100 to 500, And 500+. Then each class can be judged best over all, most origenal, most metal and that kind of stuff.

11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    The more I think about it, the more I like the plain Jane. There seems to be endless support for a bolt on 4 string bass. Whether fretted or fretless, I think it would be fun to see some real expert variations on the theme, and it might be less intimidating for inexperienced folks to join the fray.

Fuzzy, I like the idea of having multiple awards, rather than just a single "Best in show/class".

12. I agree that having a type category would be limiting. I'm about to start my first build and would love to participate, but am looking to do a 4 string fretless neck through, which doesn't fit into any of your categories.

I really think this is a good idea (especially for us noobs) and I think would keep me on my toes on my build. Keep me motivated and moving.

I think a more open judging category would be best. I don't think we should separate fretless and fretted, bolt on and neck through, and number of strings.

Maybe do something most people could get in on, and put guidelines like "any scale, bass guitar, any style neck, 6 strings or less, passive or active"

I do like the idea of separating by budget, but 100 to 500 is a huge jump. Maybe 200 or less, 201-400 and 400+?

Just my .02

13. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Count me in. I would love to have a reason for a second build.

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Be interested to see what comes of this. I don't really have an opinion on the style, but pitting real builders in competition with Assemblers is also apples to oranges.

I'll be watching this. :D

15. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Good opinions and ideas here. I'm just trying to get an idea about interest in a competition in general, and interest in what people want to do.

I'm not married to any of those categories or judging schemes. Just trying to get something started.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be building, not assembling. As in, build has to start with lumber (whether rough or dimensional), not pre-fabricated necks and bodies.

16. LOL, I know Musiclogic is just talking smack about me and my robot :spit: ;) :D

17. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    LMAO Adam, I was going to say something about CNC too, but I was trying to be amicable...;). Besides, I am way too busy to complain about your toy, and I like what your doing with it... Ahem...cough....cough....LOL:p

18. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You have to admit JC, it's a pretty sexy robot. :cool:

As far as categories go I care less about who can win as just having a reason to see some basses being built. For the last build off I built a 5 string fretless that was originally supposed to be a 6 string, what I prefer, but I changed it to fit the guidelines and while I have a great fretless 5 I do find myself wishing it was a 6 string sometimes.

19. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    interested but i also have lots of summer plans to get in the way. i'll have to see how this one plays out and then commit. or not!

20. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    LMAO Brandon, not sure about sexy, but it sure looks cool....ummmm kind of:p:spit::D

Hey Brandon, if you need a FL 6, I'll be more than happy to work out a deal for you.....hehehehehehe:bag::bassist: