1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new build, decisions, decisions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vbasscustom, Apr 15, 2009.

1. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ok so, with the rainbow bass almost done, and going to be up for sale. i need another bass for myself. i have one, but it is sub par as it was my first build. so, for the new one im planning, i thought i would ask you guys what you think of some neck wood combos. i have the body decided, it will zebrawood top and back, wenge accents between both top and back, and an ash core, posibly hollow body. so for the neck, i was thinking...

curly maple, wenge, curly maple, one zebrawood, and then curly, wenge, curly. im not asking about tone or anything, i wouldnt want wilser to get all flustered :D i just thought i would ask you guys what you think of the combos. its going to be a 5 string 32 inch scale, btw

edit: i have a peice of beautiful maccassar ebony for the FB too.

2. Sounds good :D !.. I love the zebra / wenge / ash combination for the body! But for the neck: are those wenge laminates just accents (and thinner than the rest of the laminates)? Because I think seven laminates is a lot and could be a little bit crowded on a 5 string. Maple and wenge is a nice combination (nice contrast) and with the zebra it matches the body. So I really can't give you any advice, sounds all good to me :smug:.

Very curious to see this one being created :bassist:

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah it should be pretty cool. and yes, the wenge and the maple beside the zebra wood are probably only going to be about 1/4 inch

4. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Can't go wrong with the curly and wenge. The neck I'm making is wenge/maple/wenge with a mac ebony board, looks killer. Oh, and mine is a 32" 5er as well, great minds think alike eh?

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    cool, post a pic on here man, i wanna see it.

and plus, heres a rendering courtisy of Jared at JC basses, the guy who does all the sweet renderings, and makes sweeter basses.

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Nice look, it appears you've got the idea already, go for it dude. I like the shape and the headstock..

7. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah, i really like the look of an open headstock, and i really dont think that anyone else does it on any production instruments, so i was thinking maybe that could be kinda like my signature
    oh, and the shape is going to be that, except, that when i did it on paint, i did it upright, and then when i layed it down so it wouldnt take up so much space, it kind of squished it a little, so it will be a little bit wider than that