1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Build-Finally!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ol'Bass'ead, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Well, found a friend with some shop space, so I started dragging my tools out so I could get back to building. My first build came to an abrupt halt when I lost my shop space, and when I found this space I fugured I would just make a body, and put one of my necks I have laying around on it. But, as usual, things are getting out of hand.

Heres the specs;

Alder body

Figured Maple top w/Purpleheart accent

Maybe (if I can find one I can afford) a Figured Maple/PH back

5-piece Maple, PH, Maple, PH, Maple set neck

24 fret Multi-scale 37"-34"

Looking for an Ebony FB that I can afford also.

Gold Hardware

2. I got a piece of Alder and cut it and glued it and cut out my shape. Smoothed it all up and moved on.

Cutting_some_Alder.

Scraping the glue joint
    Scraping_the_glueline.

Tracing the template
    Tracing_the_template.

Cutting out the body
    Cutting_the_body.

Ready for the next step
    AlderBodyCore.

Just a neck I had laying around for reference
    perspective.

3. I had a neck blank that I had put a bunch of time into, that I destroyed when a bearing came off my router bit. So, I glued up another (that just wasnt as nice, but oh well) And after looking at it for awhile I decided to make two necks out of it, and sawed it in half.

NeckBlank.

Then I made a jig that I saw on youtube

but couldnt get it to work in my bandsaw because it wasnt heavy duty enough (the bandsaw, not the template). So I tried it on my tablesaw-and it worked!
    CuttingScarf2.

Just a little cleanup, (I know it needs more, but I havent got my belt sander up to the shop yet.) and it looks good.
    ScarfJoint.

Scarf2.

4. Nice so far. Keep it going!

5. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    It's nice to see progress pictures where the builder is actually in them working. :)

6. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    +1

I love to see the bass being built by someone. It just gives it that sense of extra-hard work and love!

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    x2, its always nice to see a man working. Why do you look so angry?

:D

8. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Commercial User

Nov 21, 2007
    Georgia
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    Glad to see you're getting back to it. Looking forward to following the build.
    Keep the pictures coming.;)
    Joe

9. I think its a combination of freezing to death and concentration. In the first set of pics it was snowing (and the shop is unheated) and in the other it was low 40s and raining.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Perfectly acceptable explanation. I'm one to talk, its been pointed out to me many times that when I'm concentrating in a solo, my lazy eye wanders off to the upper left and I stick my tongue out of the right corner of my mouth just a little bit. I'm never aware of it, but apparently it makes me look "a little psycho" according to my bandmates... :D

11. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    Subscribed.

Pleasure to see a strightforward, bells-and-whistles-free design here. Quite an uncommon thing to happen on this forum! lol

5 strings I guess?

12. Yeah, I never have been a fan of 'fancy' basses. They look nice, but not for me. I like regular ergonomic shapes, and pretty wood. And yes, its a 5er.

13. Subscribed! Nice work :smug:

14. I guess I should have mentioned that I only get to work on the bass for a few hours every Sunday afternoon. And this weekend I had to go visit the out-laws (what's with family responsibilities anyway?), so I didnt get to work on it. But I did sneak up last Thursday for a few to glue the neck.

GluingtheScarf.

GluingtheScarf2.

Ive also decided to get back to work on the neck-thru (I was a bit pissed at it for a while), so I will be building them concurrently. I can just include it in this thread or start another-you guys let me know. But heres a teaser;

Top.

Top2.

15. Thanks Robert, Ive been following your stuff and think you are doing some pretty nice work yourself.

16. That looks amazing, even at these early stages! I'm really looking forward to following this thread :)

I can't wait to get to the States and get some proper power tools. It looks like they make life so much easier!

17. Thanks, I like you like it :D..

18. Sardine

Sardine

Feb 2, 2009
    Maine
    Purpleheart and curly, two of my favorite woods. This is gonna be killer.:)

19. Thanks for the compliments. Yes, power tools do make it a bit easier and faster, but they also can get out of hand faster-and tend to make boo boos a lot bigger! I'll post pics of the the neck I killed when I put up progress picks of the neck-thru, and its not pretty.

20. Yeah, they really look great together.........

On a different note, does anyone know a good place to get an ebony FB blank that is 29" long?