1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New build finished, 32" scale 6-string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Woodpecker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bmaxd

bmaxd

Sep 23, 2005
    Saint Louis
  2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Wow, great overview on your build. Looks great! Interesting wood choices too. Are you liking the Ash fretboard? (never seen that before).

3. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    Looks great! I really like the fivestring fretless as well, how do you like those EMG DC's? I built a four string fretless once and I wasn't too crazy about them, too thick for my taste.

The comparison tables with the domestic woods are also quite useful (as a mechanical engineer I can certainly dig this approach).
    You mention "fruittrees" in there, I am thinking of using pearwood for a fingerboard, did you see little difference in the wood of the different fruittrees (apple, pear)?

Best regards,

Jarno.

4. In my opinion the EMG DCs fits a fretless quite well, their full and rich in sound, just the way I like it. Once upon a time I had the same pups on a Ibanez SR 5-string and compared to the original passive pups these DCs really was something else. I'm glad I removed them and installed the original pups on the bass before I sold it.

Pearwood sound good, if you've got some pieces long and wide enough for a 5-string fretboard, can I buy some? :hyper:
    I don't believe there is some difference in pear and apple, the only thing that makes a difference is in what kind of soil and environment the tree has grown in. Apple and pear in hard to find, I got some small short pieces, but not nearly enough in length for a fretboard for bass (nor guitar).

Judging by your name you probably know/is Finnish, right?
    Here's some useful websites (in Finnish) if you lack some info on different domestic wood species:
    http://www.puuproffa.fi/arkisto/puulajit.php:)
    http://www.mm.helsinki.fi/mmeko/arboretum/puulajit.htm

T. "Nakke Nakertaja" :)

5. Thx. The Ash fretboard seems to work quite well, but it bugs me that the color of it is something between the Elm and Birch. I should have used Ash sapwood instead of heartwood (sapwood is a lot lighter in color). It would have matched the birch neck a lot better. After all, there's a lot of basses out there that's got a maple fretboard, so why not ash? Ash is even more beautiful and bit harder and more stiff than maple. And I don't think I'll make a neck out of maple anymore, obviously birch is inferior to maple, AND it makes a bass a lot more "exotic" too.

6. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

Jan 27, 2008
    you owe me a new pair of shorts... talk about bassgasm

7. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

Jan 27, 2008
    dont you mean superior??

8. Oh! Yes, I do mean superior... sorry, things and meanings sometimes gets "lost in translation" heh... :)

9. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    Hello Woodpecker,

Thanks for the links, I will have to run them through babelfish (if at all possible) though because I'm Dutch. I was named after a finnish motorracer though (Jarno Saarinen).

I think you can get pearwood in adequate sizes here in NL, they used to make broomsticks out of it (I think).
    I checked on a site here and apparently Pearwood has a useable length of 80-110cm long, 70-100mm wide and 50-70mm thick (but of course all pieces are different).
    It's only marginally cheaper that maple though (2750 vs 3000 euros /m3). A heck of a lot cheaper than rosewood at 19000 euros.

Regards,

Jarno.

10. Hey Woodpecker,

Beatuful bass! I like the lighter coloured woods, like different shades of honey - that ash board is perfect here! Im also using birch for the neck on my bass, though Im using dark american birch instead of scandinavian - but I hope it turns out as good as yours!

Jarno, could you tell me where youre getting your pearwood? Would they do mail order?

11. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Great stuff, nice website as well!

12. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    It's a trader near where I live (sort of),in Arnhem (www.af.nl). They are great people and you could send them an e-mail, but I'm not sure they do mail order. I did check the site earlier today and there is a guy from italy who built a guitar with wood from them, I don't suppose he came all the way from Sicily to buy wood there.
    Also, they don't do any work on the wood, so it's just the lumber, no jointing or planing.
    The great thing, for us dutchies, is the fact that they have a real informative website (and they are really helpful, and crazy about wood). On their homepage, way down on the bottom is a "contact" button.

Best regards,

Jarno.

13. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Good Stuff!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021