New build hardware - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, May 24, 2017.

Color my hardware

Poll closed May 30, 2017.
  1. Chrome

22.7%
  2. Satin

9.1%
  3. Black

45.5%
  4. mashup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Powder coated Carrot

9.1%
  6. OK, Gold too

13.6%
  1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    IMG_2715.JPG I've got a mental logjam about what looks best on a new jazz bass I'm putting together and would appreciate yer thoughts.
    It's all about the hardware aesthetics here, purely glam at this point. I have a chrome bridge and chrome clover hipshots. I was shielding the body today and popped the bridge on. Have a look and bear in mind the neck is going to be a hum dinger reverse headstock birdseye board w/ white pearl blocks and white binding, the same pale maple in this burst, no tint to speak of.
    So...WWTB do? Stay chrome? (it's universal). Satin maybe?(soften it up?) Black would look nice w/ the blackburst, but what about black tuners on the light color neck? Mix 'em? (can't say I've seen this done).

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I think everything all shiny black or satin black would look great with your cool looking finish.:thumbsup:

3. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I voted satin... I'm assuming gold is out of the question? :)

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I say chrome. Black would just kind of get lost with that finish, unless that's the aesthetic you're going for.

GreyBeard likes this.
  5. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    OK, added Gold too.

Marko 1 likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I voted "Gold". The body is full of "warm" color, so to my eyes, gold will complement it better than chrome, which works best with "cool" colors. For example, check out the Victor Bailey Jazz…so damn classy, ja?

fender-victor-bailey-jazz-bass-158111.jpg

7. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Gold is growing on me. Mmmm, solid gold upside down lollipops!

And, it costs more! Gotta be good.:thumbsup:

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Black nickel ...like on the Fender Aerodynes

reddog and Malak the Mad like this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I can't believe I didn't think of that first! :facepalm:

Black nickel, aka "Smoked Chrome" or "Cosmo Black", is incredibly classy looking. Gotoh sells Cosmo Black hardware through their English-language online store. I've bought from them before. It's a bit pricey, but for the right project, it can easily be worth it. :thumbsup:

Dark Horse and NigelD like this.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:)

I personally think that it would look amazing !

Malak the Mad likes this.
  11. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Thanks to all posters and voters! Against all odds I'm going.......Gold.

Bling, Schming, time for Bada Bing! This build is all around a neck I've been waiting for from Pat Wilkins. This is going to be my spare Jazz so anything goes!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  12. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    So while still waiting for my reverse headstock neck from Pat I picked up a nice fretless neck at Warmoth. It looks great! Macassar ebony with a smattering of birdseye in the maple. I am mixing Black and Gold hardware as it turns out, I have a new Schaller cloverleaf set in gold to install in the next few days when I'm done finishing the neck. More photos then.:bassist:

Attached Files:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021