1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New build (I'm gonna finish this one)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ol'Bass'ead, May 8, 2010.

  1. My other build isnt dead, just needs some work....

    But in the meantime, my regular gigging axe is starting to not look as pristine as it used to, and as I am not into the relic look I decided to build a replacement. Well, that, and I'm trying to get something a little higher class to play out with.

    Alder body
    Purple heart accent layer
    Quilted Maple top
    Maple neck
    Rosewood FB
    Bartolini 59J's (I'm not sure I like these-seem to be too dark and thuddy for my tastes-I'd like to try some aluma-J's)
    Black hardware

    I waited until I was quite a ways into this one before I posted pics, so those interested wont have to wait too long.
  2. OK, started out with an Alder blank


    Planed down some Purple Heart and glued it down


    Got this


  3. Glued my top together


    Got it on the body, planed it down and rounded over the edges, cut the neck pocket and the pickup routs




    Oh, and the control cavity

  4. Then mounted the neck and double checked my alignment-good to go!



    Put it all together to make sure it was going to work......



  5. M0ses


    Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thought I was gonna hate that huge upper horn....then you rounded it over, and it's not so bad... I like the purpleheart veneer, it's a nice touch.
  6. Blew it back apart and finished the sanding and started the staining process...



    And that is where I am as of yesterday. Right now I am putting on the clear, so I'll need a few days of shooting and sanding to get that part done. Still need to put the Quilted Maple cap on the peg head, and stain and clear that. Then finish up the fret job and hopefully, Ill have my own custom bass to play for a while!
  7. kuso


    Feb 25, 2010
    Plymouth, MA
    Looks great - I love the large upper horn, and this one is well done!
  8. I wanted the horn to go to the 12th fret for balance. This is actually a copy of of the body on my neck thru fan fret (that isnt finished quite yet) that has a 36" B-string, so it came out to almost the 11th fret. One thing Im finding with the Purple heart is that most top stains dont look real good with it. I was going to do a red, but that didnt work. Blue and a couple other colors were thought of and discarded. And the green turned out better than I anticipated. Oh, and the PH isnt a veneer, its 1/8" thick.

    Oh, and thanks for the kind words...
  9. Thanks!
  10. Soverntear


    Mar 17, 2008
    looks great, cant wait to see the finished product
  11. bass_snake

    bass_snake Banned

    Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Very nice. Reminds me of the Bunny Brunell bass. Post some sound clips when your done. :)

  12. Darkstrike

    Darkstrike Return Of The King!

    Sep 14, 2007
    Dig it, really cool work.
  13. Thanks for the nice words. I actually thought that the BB bass' upper horn was too long and too thin and never really thought the over all balance of the design was that appealing. But thats just my opinion.....

    I guess thats why we make our own :D
  14. Still sanding-the clear didnt lay down real well, and Im having to sand most of it off-but its getting there!
  15. Well, after a few hours of sanding my fingers to the bone, I decided the stain was too blotchy, and that I could do better, so;

  16. __HM__


    Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Awh! That stain rocked man.
  17. M0ses


    Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I realize that it was thick, but I wasn't sure what to call it. What do you call it? Since it's not just a border, I don't think it's binding... should I just say layer?
  18. Thats a good question.......it is a layer..... Maybe its called a reveal?:meh:
  19. Its going back the same color-just hopefully I'll do a better job. In truth, I was experimenting with a dye I hadnt used before, and although it has potential, I need to learn the best way to apply it. It is the liquid RIT dye-for fabrics. I have used the powder form before, mixed with lacquer thinner and that worked great, but it acts completely different from the liquid kind.

    So, once I get it cleaned up, I'll try again.......
  20. OK, got some more done....

    First of all, I sanded all the clear off. Then I taped off the front and resprayed the back and sides to seal it up. Went and got some RIT fabric dye-the dry stuff- and got ready to rock!


    Here I am putting some black stain in a glass bowl...


    Took some lacquer thinner.....


    Poured a little over the powder.......


    Took a clean cloth and rubbed it into my top. It penetrated much better than the liquid type.....




    Once that dried, I sanded it down so the stain was only in the figure...


    Next, I will re-do the green........

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.