Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Build in Progress - First Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    This is my third body build and first neck.
    The neck is Birds Eye maple with a Cocobolo fretboard radiused to 7.25. The body is Spalted Maple on Black Limba. The odd coloring on the Spalt in CA to stabilize everything during the rough cut. I'd like to run it through the planer and take off an 1/8 or so from the top. Not sure if it will survive. May just plane by hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Looks great! I love the way that top goes with the fretboard.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing it completed.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Looks good, did you make the board?

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    That is one of the few spalted tops I can honestly say that I love. Can't wait to see that baby finished. :D

5. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah, the board was sawn out of a piece of Cocobolo I had lying around.
    Cerb, Yeah, I said the same thing when I saw the Spalted Maple. I think spalted wood tends to have an affect on people, taking over their judgement like a fungus.

6. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm almost ready for final finishing and set up. Still waiting for the ETS bridge and black hipshot tuners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That is one busily figured bass all-around... :ninja:
    Maybe too busy for me... or maybe it's just the color combination...
    BTW what did you finish it with? Brought the figure out nicely.

8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Super sweet fingerboard, and though I wasn't sure I liked the top at first, it looks real nice finished. And the matching headstock is sweet. As for black limba... I think I'm gonna order some.

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Looks great A+ nice job!!!

10. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Sweet bass! The top is interesting, but cool lookin'. I noticed that there's about a quarter inch of fingerboard hanging off of the end...what's the theory behind that? Keep up the great work!

-Josh

11. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I was able to get the straight edge to rock slightly on the center of the neck and then I backed off on the rod so it was flat. I then went ahead with the fret leveling.

The finish is tung oil, then poly. Wipe on poly is really a pain to get right, with no brush marks, so I sanded and then hit it with two thin coats of nitro. That'll get the final buff in about a week or so..

12. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I have a question about the Cocobolo. It dulls out a bit more that I'd prefer. Its cutrrently sanded all the way to 2000 and then with 0000 steel wool. What can I do to give it more of a luster? The cocobolo doesn't like oil too much.

13. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Really nice! What did you use to get the logo on there?

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It is, I know, it is. :D I hope I'll get it right third time :meh:
    Right now I'm trying to find a good spray gun with a fine nozzle...

15. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I was under the impression that 0000 steel wool has about the same scratch pattern as 600 grit sandpaper (though it does a better job of getting into the low spots and evening out the sheen). By that logic you'd probably get a better final finish by leaving it at the 2000 grit stage or even moving into the world of micromesh.

-Nate

16. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'll give that a try and see if there is any difference. I'm also wondering if wax and an electric buffer will give it the look I'm after. I'm going to pick up a buffer today.
    Ideally, I'd like to see it somehere in between the way it is now and the "naptha" look.

17. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
  18. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I was on a tour of a knife factory out in the maritimes years and years ago. They produced a lot of knives with rosewood handles that would eventually lose their lustre because people would run them through the dishwasher. To bring the shine back they'd just take them and run them on the buffing wheel for a bit. This heated the surface of the wood and brought the natural oils back up, bringing back the sheen. Unfortunately I can't tell you if they oiled or waxed the wood at all before hand, since I was 10 or so at the time and I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

When you say the cocobolo doesn't like the oil, what do you mean? Personally I'd try a bit of lemon oil and a whole lot of elbow grease, but that's just me. A quick shot of poly from a rattle can might give you a base that will polish up a bit better, too.

-Nate

19. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well,, I used some of the same pieces of coco to accent my amp rack. In doing so I oiled it with tung and the cocobolo wouldn't absorb it very wel.. It looks great, but there is still some residue...

20. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Huh. I've never tried oil on cocobolo, so that's new to me. It might be worth using some acetone or naptha to remove the natural oils and wax (I don't recall if it's a waxy wood or not) before trying the tung oil. From what I recall it's quite dense so absorption might be an issue no matter what.

Maybe cutting the oil with a thinner would give you the sheen you want without leaving as much residue?

-Nate