1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Build named Scrappy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thebassbuilder, Jul 31, 2012.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Well I am starting a new bass design. It will be based off a Sting Ray for the most part. I am caling this one Scrappy because I am using only parts and wood I have around the shop.

The Body at this point will have an Ash top that is 0.75" thick and the back will be a mix of Mahogany and/or Poplar. I have to see how much wood I have to get the job done. I am sure at this point I will use a Mahogany center section on the back. That should give a killer tone mixed with the ASH top.

The Neck will be a 1/2A Birdseye maple w/Rosewood F-board 21 fret. It will have Schaller tuners and a 3 way ajustable Gotoh bridge, control plate and knobs (all Chrome).

Electronics/Pick-ups: Bartolini MM pup in the correct bridge position and a Bartolini split J pup in the correct P bass location. This pup will be at an angle that covers the correct area of a P bass (see pictures), this bass will hopefully sound like my two favorite instruments, a SRay and a P Bass. I will use a 3 band Bartolini electronics (as long as they are not fried).

Pick guard: I am doing my own design and here is where I would like people to help. I will do a poll with pick guard "A" or "B", so let me know what you think. I am leaning toward "A" but like them both.

So I will start the thread with the poll question and add the other updates and pictures next. Hope you like it.