1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Build - Species One

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chasplaybass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Inspired by BassChair :hyper:I mustered up enough courage to build a bass totally from scratch. Some may remember my rebuild of an SX 5 string which was ok but it was like buying a kit which is kinda a joke to me - ANYWAY - :rollno:

My goal is to build a 5 string with set neck , multiple body and neck laminations. I ordered a dual truss rod from Allparts, jazz single coil pickups from carvin, various other parts from ebay to be shown later.

Also thumbs up to the guys at Owl Hardwoods in Oak Lawn and Des Plaines, Illinois!!!:D

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    fyi, don't know if everyone is having the problem, but your links don't work for me...

3. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I think I have it fixed now.

4. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    The posterboard shape was originally the shape of a Elrick 6 but i wanted to change it a little.

5. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I saw Basschair use a walnut veneer between his top and bottom so I decided to try paduak and purpleheart over ash.

6. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Preliminary shape. Not sure if its the norm but I cut out the body core and tops separately.

7. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Since I have some granite suppliers in the area I have access to whatever scraps I want so I took 2 heavy pieces and attached coarse grit sandpaper to both surfaces. I learned after one time to wear heavy gloves after I sanded my knuckle and the white meat showed:bawl:

8. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    See my neat containers of hardwood dust? Works wonderfully when mixed with titebond 2. The CA didnt go well for me, guess I didnt know what i was doing.

9. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I use a stack o granite bucket full of water clamp as well as traditional clamps.

10. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Here I am gluing the neck blank to the body mid section.

11. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Neck is jakota, maple, walnut and purpleheart. Body mid section is walnut, paduak, maple, cherry and purpleheart.

12. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Wasn't sure if I wanted to go with spalted maple laminate or multi wood laminate. I ultimately decide to go with the multi wood laminate because I didnt what to have any tear out or any other issues with the spalted maple but it sure was pretty perhaps species Two?

13. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    The laminate won!

14. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I'm also using granite to add weight and distribute clamping pressure evenly. Maybe unconventional :eyebrow:but it came out great.

15. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    I took a plastic cover off another project bass body and used it as a template. I used a jig saw to cut out the control cavity on the ash side. I then used a mini hand plane to create a platform for the cover to rest on.

16. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    So my first attempt without a band saw. I used a jigsaw and of course had to clean up with my granite sanding block and mini plane.

17. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    So I'm going for a custom look and thanks to the many posts and tips I was able to hide the scarf line.

18. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    The walnut top has been applied. I know the extra inches of walnut didnt make since in the previous pick but i wanted a picture frame effect on the back.

19. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Cut with jig saw but didnt want to do to much just yet. I dont have the tuning gears yet and I'm still not set on the peghead shape. If you look at the second pic you can't see the scarf line. I didnt use veneer just made sure I had a tight fit. A woodworker site said that sanding would hide rest by raising the grain? I kinda get the concept but it worked.

20. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    As you can see the body wings have been glued and I have begun shaping the heel. You can now see the cavity route. I cut out the inset with a mini plane. As you can see the body shape is a lot different now than the original template.