1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new business cards, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Mar 14, 2009.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    So I ordered some new business cards the other day. I *really* wanted to put a snappy (yet professional) slogan on them, but I just couldn't come up with one. Any suggestions for when I run out? Here's what the card looks like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oKw6BGpeNq_RsW7GhgLolA?feat=directlink

The failed slogans:

"Tasty grooves. Delivered"
    "Funky like a bow-legged monkey"
    "Over ten years of plank-spankin' goodness"
    "Fingerpickin' good"

:D

--Lee

edit: and yes, I know the web link on the card is dead. I'm working on putting up a site that DOESN'T suck!

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    "Funky like a bow-legged monkey'! Hahahahaha.

3. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    "Change you can beleive in"

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Nope. I like the card just the way it is. Adding any "snappy" stuff just clutters it, may offend some, may turn others off. You're selling yourself as a bassist. The card works just the way it is.

5. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    It's perfect the way it is - a picture is worth a thousand words and at least 10,000 cheezy slogans. It clearly states who you are and what you do in that photo. On thing though...

Make the font larger.

See how well that works! Just the text up a few points - espectially your name and contact #. Just so it doesn't interfere with your photo. There are a lot of nearsighted people out there (like me) who won't be able to read your card in a low light situation. Otherwise, good work.

7. Tips from a professional graphic designer...

1. Never have more than 2 fonts in any design (yours don't I know, but it's a good rule)
    2. Vary you font weight ie: name in bold, description regular text, contact details bold etc - that way the contact details correlate to the name etc...
    3. Use good margins - keep all text at least 5mm from the edge of a card (a good tip if the guilotining is very poor and inaccurate - you don't want your text chopping off!)
    4. Use dynamic photography, such as high or low camera angles that take the viewer on a visual journey - keep it dynamic - this will say more than words ever can.
    5. Slogans are only good for corporate businesses - don't cheapen yourself by sounding desperate!
    6. Don't be afraid of black and white with a simple splash of colour - a very effective visual technique that will probably be more classy
    7. You play upright bass? Why not use an upright (portrait) card design?

8. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    The juxtaposition of the slangy slogans to the straight ahead card design is an interesting concept. I would think that any would have worked although working in 10 years of experience has some value.

Keep the back uncoated (UV or Gloss) so people can write on it.

9. I like it!

+1 to no slogan.
    +1 to bringing the print size up a bit.

10. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    What's wrong with leaving it as is?

Looks pretty good to me.

11. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    From another (former) graphic designer:

NO SLOGAN! No offense, but I have to believe your suggestions are tongue-in-cheek as your current card is infinitely more professional than any of your slogan ideas. How could the same person come up with both?!? :eyebrow: :D

No slogan is necessary, "eliminate the nonessentials." Adding one would probably be detrimental, and the style would have to be conservative, dry and professional to match your layout (ex. "Exceedingly funky like a bow-legged monkey" j/k).

The card is fantastic as-is, except some minor layout issues. Looks very much professionally done, you should be proud. In fact, sometimes designers get so caught up in "designing" they forget to keep it simple and great, like your card. Good job! :hyper:

As to the layout issues (opinions on this not solicited, I know), I would restate for emphasis these points made by others:

-Larger type size
    -Larger edge margins (not only for trimming issues, but for looks, too)
    -Bold face for Name and Phone Number

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I like the design. The image is very tasteful and professional.

13. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    No slogan. It's almost fine the way it is. When you get the card printed, the text will be pretty small. Make your contact information bigger and not so close to the edge.

14. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    "We'll put anything in our mouths!"

15. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I like "Fingerpickin' Good."

The others are way too cheesy, and I agree that it works fine as is right now.