Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Butcher job (Polly is scared of grinders...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 2, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok.

I'm moving out. The only job that I can get as of right now is in a meat department of a local SuperMarket. Now, I'm scared out of my mind. I know I have to take the job, but my friend knows a father/son duo who have lost a combined total of 3 fingers to a meat grinder, and they knew how to use one for years before they lost them. What are the chances of me loosing a finger? They have good benefits, and good pay... but still.

They flinched when I said I couldn't work some nights, and thought I was insane when I said most people DO work 9 to 5..... But I've got the job, if I want it. Interview is tomorrow at 1PM.

I just got this weird vision when they said "Meat Grinder and Electric Saw". My hand going in one side and out the other....

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    don't do it.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I pretty much grew up in the restaurant/entertainment biz early on.

IME, it wasn't the young pups who were missing any digits because they had a healthy fear of the meat saws, the knives, the grinders, the garbage disposals, the deep fryers, and the big mixers.

It seemed like it was always the guys who had been doing it for years and who had become complacent and felt the job was tedious who were missing something ------ ESPECIALLY, those who toked up/drank/got medicated at work!

My advice - get the money while it's there, but move on whenever there's another opening, before you get complacent and don't give the tools the respect they deserve.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What rick said, I occasionally used to job at a big carpenter shop on school breaks, and worked pretty much with any saw they had. I never was more careful than in those weeks, so - nothing happened.

5. yuck.
    the meatroom at the store where i work is hideous; you're in for a treat.
    of course, this supermarket probably has employees who take care of the store a lot better than mine. have fun!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, I am sure that they have a good accidental dismemberment insurance policy. So look on the bright side. If you lose your left index finger, you will have $10000 to spend on new bass gear. If you can still play, that is.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I worked in a deli for a year a while back where one of the main things I did was cut coldcuts. I was terrified for the same reasons as you. Thankfully, all my fingers are still in tact. I agree with what Rickbass said. The people who lose and cut fingers are the experienced ones who are very sure of themselves. If you're anything like me any and every time you approach something that if misused can ruin your livelyhood and love, you will approach it with the utmost respect, care and caution. I don't think you'll have any problems.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Do it, and mail me the finger.

9. you can do it.... just be careful, if anything, they can always sew it back on for you...:(

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Then mail me the ATK. :D

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I've been working as a butcher for over 10 years now.
    I had to pick a few fingers that where cut though!! Luckily those never been mine!
    Just be very careful, when you work on the saw be sure to work at your own rythm.
    You need to work fast, they will ask you to and you have to perform, but while you are on the saw, just be careful!

12. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have almost finished my Butcher's apprenticeship and i have yet to see anybody lose a finger. In Australia (It may be different over there) you must be at least into the third year of your apprenticeship to be able to use a meat grinder or a band saw. The only advice i can really offer is learn everything about the machinery and the Number 1 rule is Dont be afraid of the machines but Respect them and always be aware of what they can do.

13. rickbass

Your guess is correct, Pick...it is different in the U.S.
    My experience has been that a higher-ranking employee says, "Come over here and I'll show you how to cut chops off of a loin using the bandsaw," you watch them do it for a minute, and then you're on your own till you have to ask how to take it apart to clean it.

14. I still don't know why they let us use band saws in shop class in 7th and 8th grade. Montrous things.

What's a meat grinder do?

15. rickbass

Ever notice that your hot dogs/sausages/hamburgers aren't made with sliced meat ???

Seriously, you feed chunks of meat into a big metal worm, the worm turns, crushes the meat and carries the meat to rotating blades which force the meat through a plate full of small holes. The result looks like "dreadlocks" of meat.

16. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've worked in a meat department for 2 1/2 years and haven't seen anyone lose a finger yet :)

Surprisingly, the people who have been cut and/or injured the most never use the saws or anything in back. Just plain carelessness with knives and/or slicers in the deli.

If you're patient and pay attention to what you're doing you should be fine.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Here in Quebec it's different (in the rest of the Canada it work like in the US) We have at least 3 month of theory classes before we can actualy use a knife or the band saw.

18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Meat cutting theory. Just sounded funny to me. :D

19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    It's not, you need to know everything about bacteria, how to clean, how to work safely, the name of the muscles, receipe and many other things.

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Good band name.

I worked in fish portion production for a number of years. We had 18 employees working saws, day in, day out.

No accidents. No employer wants an accident, it is bad for business and employee relations.
    I have always tried to set up the situations so they were safe. Adjust the saws properly so that
    the guards do what they are designed to do. Never operate a saw that has no guards.

It is actually a decent job, if you give it a chance. Butchers who are good can make good money. RESPECT! and like Rickbass said, Don't smoke up at work. That's no RESPECT for power equipment.

Enjoy it and have fun!

Thor