1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New cab and head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonorous, May 7, 2006.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got a Bag End S15-D that I've had for a while (found at a pawn shop) that I would use as a pratice cab when I didn't want to move around my Avatar 4x10. Both of which I would push with my Peavey MAX 450.

Recently however, I've added an S15X (same pawn shop) to go with the S15 and a SWR SM-400s (from TBer 73jbass) to replace the Peavey.

It kills, in my opinion. All together, these seperate pieces cost me a total of $700.

And yes, I'm aware of the #1 rule. They're on their way. I'm charging the camera's batteries.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Nice!

I own 2 BE S15 cabs and two S12 cabs. No S15X yet, but I'm planning. Two BE 15 cabs is pretty much more than enough for almost any gig, and they do sound pretty good with the SWR heads. If you ever run out of volume, don't ditch the cabs, look into more powerful amps. The 200 watt RMS ratings on the BE 15" cabs i s abit conservative, i usually hit my pair with 800 watts. :D

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Good to know I've got plenty of room to grow watt wise.

4. I wish the pawn shops around here had killer gear.:crying:

I'm sure that if something like that came in, they'd put it on eBay instead of the sales floor, the only bass gear I've ever seen in pawn shops here are beat up Crate or Peavey cabs and Taiwanese basses sold brand new.
    [/whine]
    :D
    C7

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well thats what it usually is here too. I just got lucky for them to have these, and for $150 each! Pretty nice deal, in my opinion.
    There was another pawn shop somewhere around that had an Eden WT400 for a while, I don't remember what they were asking but I remember I didn't have it.

EDIT: Oh, and IvanMike, a lot of your Bag End related posts are exactly what convinced me to get that first S15 (Well, and the price). I'm glad you support them so zealously, because now I do too.

(Also, how does a S15 sound with a S12? What about 2 S15s with a S12?)

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Well, i know i've posted a review of the two somewhere, but i forget where i put it.

Anyhow, I've used any combination you can think of with the two s15 cabs and two s12 cabs. One s12, two s12s, two s12s and an s15, all four cabs, one s12 and one s15, two s15s and an s12, two s15s, and a single s15.

As you have figured out, two s15 cabs have a good amount of low end. The s12 cab does not have the lows of an s15, but it has a very present midrange that i really haven't heard from any other cabinet made by anyone. Outside of being my favorite choice for sticking a mike in front of, the s12 seems to come into its own sitting on top of an s15 (or almost any other box). While the s15/s12 combo doesnt have quite the lows that two s15s do, it does have more apparent lows than a single s15. More to the point, an s12 adds that midrange clarity to the sound. Keep in mind, the s15 already has a ton of mids, so the s12 really takes it over the top. I dont find the mids to be too much, as they don't seem to be the "annoying" type.

9 times out of 10, i use the s12/s15 combo. For some rooms that seem not to have enough bass, or if i want to be just a tad louder without bringing 3 boxes, i use the two s15 cabs. I only got the 2nd s15 a while ago, so up until recently, my "loud" rig was the s15 and a pair of s12 cabs. The jury is still out on if i like the double s12 + s15 rig better than the double s15 with a single s12 motif, and probably will remain out. Honestly, the "real" rig is all 4 cabs stacked vertically :D