1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW CAB=CRAVING NEW DISTORTION

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapstick13, Nov 1, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Heres my current setup:
    Pbass>Tuner>Boss ODB-3>SVT II PRO>newly aquired SVT 8X10e cab!

I recently ditched my tech 21 vt bass because I found it redundant to use an svt amp/ 8X10 cab emulator with an all tube svt and and 810 'real life' setup! I used to use the vt as a mild overdrive on my old svt 3pro/ 410 setup, but now my amp sounds better than that. So Ive been using the boss odb 3 for my distortion sounds. But its too brittle sounding and I feel I need something similar but less cheap and harsh sounding with my new setup.

I KNOW there are a million suggestions and searches but I havent found anything specific to my setup. Some kind of ditortion pedal that does and 810 cab and svt2 pro head some justice!! Price not really an issue becasue I have my vt abss and bass big muff to sell towards a new pedal.

2. It's really depend what sound you want - and how dirty you have the SVT goin.
    If you have the SVT a ragin - even a lowly Boss SD-1 or DS-1 might work ok....

Personally, with a killer amp like that, I wouldn't even bother with an OD, cos it's just not gonna be getn noticed by anyone but you.
    You be better off getn a nice fuzz with a clean blend.
    MANY pedals can do that, like the Brown Dog, Oxide, B:assmaster etc..

......just tell us what sounds you like.

3. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    check out the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B. it's what I'm gassing for atm.

4. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edtion. This is the God all of Distortion pedals. I can also say it does the SVT Justice.

I even have one I might be willing to let go, too....:bag:

5. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I DO want the svt raging!! I actually have a boss super od, def closer to my "distortion" sound I want, but sucks too much bass. I play in a 3 piece band, so Im only competing with 1 guitar player for sonic space which is good. We have parts in our songs that def need some distortion from both guitar and bass.

6. Again, Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition. Tech 21 actually had to make a version with LESS gain for the gui****s, because they thought the pedal was too XTREME

7. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    How dialing lower gain settings with the BBM and sort of use it as a dirty booster?

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Haha, I think your rig will be doing your pedals more justice than a pedal will need to do the rig justice. The ODB-3 is, put lightly, not my favorite distortion pedal.

What kind of budget are you working with? I think there's acceptable answers in pretty much any budget range, but as you might guess the greater your budget the more options and I might say better options you may have.

Congrats on a killer rig!

9. fulltone ocd

10. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    i have an 8x10 and svt-cl, and on my board theres a fulltone ocd, wren and cuff pickle pie b fuzz, and an ego booster by smart people factory. all sound great with the massive svt sound.

11. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    So why are you selling the BBM?

I think fuzz is the only dirt you would need now, but i saw you are selling it.

12. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    I've been running a Tone Hammer into a MXR Envelope filter and getting some crazy but articulate distortion. Sometime I throw in the Agro in the middle. This going into a GK MB Fusion and TC RS210 & 212 so quite a different set up than you. I just thought I throw something a little different at you.

13. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Im selling the bass big muff because I just dont like it in a band setting. Everything just turns to mush, even with it set to the dry toggle(blending clean sig and muff). I like the boss odb3 better than the muff, but that sounds brittle to me as well.

I had the ocd but sold it before I got this amp setup! Was considering going back. Im VERY interested in the wren and cuff pickle pie B. The blend on this pedal supposivly sounds more natural than the blend on other fuzz/dist pedals.

14. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    My spending cap is about $200 .

15. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Some better idea of what sound you're shooting for would be helpful, but I really love the tone of these OD's:

- Aguilar Agro (can get VERY over the top if you want)
    - Xotic Bass BB
    - Digitech Bad Monkey (some people have this modded for bass, but I don't think it's necessary, especially with your rig)
    - Way Huge Pork Loin
    - Catalinbread SFT (liked the least of these, but still liked it a lot)

-JV

16. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    well I understand your problem with the BBM. Where they have no mids it kills your sound in a mix. Some people like that though.

My advice would be to find a fuzz with a mid control. Something to dial your sound back in. I have been looking at the Nano Muff Overdrive. It only has a volume knob, but it has no effect on tone from what I've been told.