1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new cab day - Ampeg PF-115LF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by René_Julien, Jul 9, 2012.

1. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    IMG_1813.

To be fair, I received it thursday, but only yesterday and today I had a chance to test out my rig.

My first impressions are very positive (it might be the honeymoon phase).
    My other cab is a Hartke 410XL, but I don't have much experience alternating between sealed and ported cabs, so don't expect insightful opinions from me.
    I think from now on I will go the ported route if I ever get another cab. (But at the moment cab GAS is fine.)

Years ago I occasionally got the gig some Ampeg SVT-410HLF setups. Imo these are some of the greatest ever built. This PF-115LF justifies being a little cousin to that classic Ampeg beast.

I care about my tone a lot, but I am not full of wisdom and experience, and I am quite fickle over "what is my perfect tone" over the 13 years I play bass.
    I play mostly fretless, and while the general concencus is that you can use any kind of amp/cab for fretless, depending on how you want your fretless to sound you do need to consider what amp you use that complement it.

My tone can be generally described as low-mid and mid bumped, and a little bit of treble to make it bite which I can control using technique. (Provide I practice more and maybe take some lessons.)
    The specs say that the high-end roll-off is around 3kHz. Still plenty enough for me, I dial in treble bite and this cab gives the right amount.
    I don't use deep lows, they never suited for any style of music I played. But the reaction of a cab that can handle more lows sounds great. I have a lot of girth on the frequency spectrum I like to be in.
    A sealed cab would be too punchy and lose sustain with the tone I am going after. (From my experience.)

When I am rolling the tone off from my P-bass then it opens up a new world of dark thumping.

Now I might think getting a new amp. While my Blackstar sounded great through my Hartke 410XL, something to my ears didn't feel right when going through the PF-115LF.
    My Gallien Krueger RB1001-II and BL600 sound better, a more flatter response and more articulate note defenition.
    (GAS never ends...)

tl;dr

I got a new cab and am happy with it and posted a picture of it.

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Very nice.
    Have you tried the PF & the XL together yet? I'm sure it's over kill but would be fun just the same.

3. What Blackstar head is that? Looks sweet.

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks,

I'm actually in the camp of not mixing speaker cabs, but I would be lying if I hadn't thought about doing that. :)
    I guess it would not work because I have to EQ the Hartke a bit more to get the tone I want. And the PF-115LF I almost need to adjust the other way for the same tone.

And either one of the cabs would be TOOO loud for what I need to. My only "gig" at the moment is with a pianist, who actually teaches me. Maybe in august we have a performance in a small community center.

I think he'll be pleased with the tone of my new cab.

The Studio HT-20. It's a fine amp. It does Fender tones better than Marshall IMO. But then again I might be prejudiced about it because I like Marshall sound better and am more critical about that.

In the future I might want something more B-15ish.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, judging from your tonal standards, I'd say you likely bought the right cab.

6. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    Sweet setup

7. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    still digging it?
    I'm been waiting to hear if these are any good or not...

8. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Seems that way. I never had a cab like this. Glad I got this one and I think the price is okay.
    In the future I might be looking for a bigger brother of this... not that I need something bigger.

Jimmy, have you considered this cab? Or are you happy with your sealed cab?
    Sealed cabs are more vintage-y in tone? (<-- more of a rethorical question)

Thanks man. :)

Yup, digging it more and more. Especially since I got a new awesome fretless yesterday. So I'm experiencing all kinds of ecstacy.
    I am definately getting closer on my quest for the tone I want. Not necessary deep but low-mid heavy.

The only thing that worries me is it's sturdiness. The cab feels more hollow with the knuckle test.
    (But I come from Hartke, Trace Elliot, Ashdown MAG and Peavey gear that were build like tanks.)

Maybe this weekend with my Gallien Krueger I can test how loud this thing can go. Not that I need loudness at the moment.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well after hearing the PF115HE's go pretty darn low and be sealed, I'm inclined not to believe in the common perceptions of sealed vs. ported cabs anymore. Used to think all of them had a bottom end that was tuned higher than all ported cabs and now that's gone right out the window since getting the PF115he's.

But I go for the higher tuned cabs, so I haven't really considered either of the newest PF cabs. The PF115he is about as low as I'd ever want to go, and honestly, I've ended up using the double baffle and 210av cabs a lot more often these days. I should trot those PF cabs out more often, though. I do like them.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I really should try a PF115HE if I have the chance. Not much chance to test gear here in belgium. :meh:
    So I rely on talkbass... double :meh::meh: ... :)
    It would be worth the comparison between those two, lots of people will want to know that. But I guess in a couple of monts on every page in the amps forum will be an A/B test of these two cabs. :) (or the other series pf cabs ported versus sealed)

I mostly used sealed cabs, and they always did the job just fine. I could always dial in my desired tone and I am not that much of a vintage guy. Well, I like best of both worlds, vintage and what is considered modern. I don't like to be on either side of the spectrum.

I have not a good grasp yet on what the tuning frequency will do for tone. Maybe it's very obvious, but there must be more to it.