1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Cab Decision Time.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalinthenight, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ampeg B25B 2x15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mesa Boogie 2x15 (x2)

33.3%
  3. Peavey 4x12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Man up and use your Aggie Rig

66.7%
  1. Alrighty guys...here is another cab decision thread :D

I am starting a new band soon which will be a metal/noise project. I already have a sweet rig that I use in my other band (see sig/shameless plug :D), but I don't want to risk blowing up the speakers in my Aguilar rig, via awesome noise metal.

So I've found a few cabinets locally that have peaked my interest:

First is an Ampeg B25B 2x15 (with 60s JBLs, apparently) that has been rehoused. This one just looks plain awesome:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second real option is a pair (yes a pair) of Mesa Boogie 2x15s:

[​IMG][​IMG]

One of these (the second one) is a home made copy of the first one. It has one Mesa 15 and one JBL 15. The actual mesa 2x15 has the original mesa 15s in it.

The trick with the second option is that I could get both of the Mesa Boogie cabs for about $45 less than the price of the Ampeg. If I got the Ampeg 2x15, I would run it with my two Aguilar cabs (DB410 and DB115). So that option would give me a fuller range rig.

The two Mesa cabs would be super rad by themselves, while also sparing my Aguilar cabs from sonic annihilation. And yes having two 2x15s is totally worth it.

The third option is a Peavey solid state guitar amp and 4x12 cabinet from the 70s. I would run this set up along side my Aguilar rig as well. The obvious benefit here is that I would get another head as well. Downside: the cost is about $100 more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and just for kicks, here is my Aguilar rig that I am using now :D :

photo1.jpg

2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

Mesa.

3. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    I would use the Aguilar rig. I don't see how you could blow the speakers up. If the volume is cranked enough to blow those speakers then you're way to loud.

4. :bassist:

It's not so much the volume as the noise/feedback/oscillation that will inevitably occur. I'd just be more comfortable not using my "nice" rig and be able to have a rig that I could thrash around without fear of damage.

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

It is a noise metal band. I think being way too loud is one of the points of this exercise.

I'd go with the Mesa rig. That Peavey 4x12 is a guitar cab.

6. I know the peavey is a guitar cab. That's why I would run it with my Aggie rig and EQ accordingly (I.E. Highs to the 4x12 and the lows to the Aggie rig). Or do you think that wouldn't work?

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

It could. That cab is very loud. Still, I'd go with the two 2x15"s.

8. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I can tell you from experience the B25B will not cut it. I use to use two of them with an Ampeg V4B head back in the 70s and I sold both of them and brought a Cerwin Vega 1x18. It put out more quality sound than both the B25Bs together