Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Cab Design with 18 Crossovers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Henry, Jan 27, 2004.

1. David Henry

David Henry Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Bend, Oregon 97702
  2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    "Recative bass speaer "

I think they need a spell checker.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That sounds reasonably useful to me.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not "Frequenncy adjustable". The "crossover points" are adjustable. It lets you choose which frequencies go to which speakers, that's all. Don't be led to believe is some sort of post-amplification graphic equaliser.

I wonder why they used identical drivers for bottoms and mids?

The idea is novel and therefores sellable, but I wonder what benefit it would offer over running the thing full range?

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It is a sort of crude EQ actually. Basically a sort of "everything but the bass and high treble" EQ -- you can adjust the amplitude of frequencies in the middle by adjusting how many drivers (if any) are producing them.

It's closer to the Alembic/Wal style of filtering than a normal EQ actually. Adjustable low-pass filters for each pair of woofers, and an adjustable high-pass for the tweeters. Like a 3-way SF-2 but without continuously variable frequencies or adjustable Q. :)

6. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, what hype! I doubt that it sounds any good considering it came from Madison. I use Madison knight 15's and 12's in my old PV monitors. I know now I should have bought Eminence Delta's. They need a little more power than they should and thier crossovers are junk. I'm sure they overrate their speakers but I haven't lost one yet.

I have 4 monitor mixes and put about 250-300 each driver in them. The Knights are rated 350w RMS, 700 peak, which means 175w and 700 peak (6dB headroom). Not much, but for an MI speaker it works until I can sell all 6 and buy good gear.

pete

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I rather have a cabinet which sounds fine as it is and do the tone tweaking with my amp. And I'm even happier if I don't have to touch the EQ at all...

Matthias

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It is a bit funny that they say it has 18 crossovers though. :) It really has three adjustable ones. If they are simple filters (first-order) then it's nothing too difficult.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    According to the spiel they're third order (18dB per octave). Good thing caps and inductors are cheap.