Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New cab for my Mesa 400+.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeldtl, Oct 23, 2005.

1. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Hey all, this is my first post here....gotta couple Q's about my rig. First, I'm currently running a Mesa 400+ through an Ampeg 8x10. I play MM basses tuned 2 steps down (to C) and sometimes a 5 string tuned GCGCF and it sounds great, nice and punchy with a hint of grit. I've been playing this setup for almost a year and am EXTREMELY happy with my tone. But recently, I've been craving a little more fundamental from my rig, some more thump so you can FEEL my bass too. The ten inch speakers just don't seem like they can take the super low frequencies, especially w/ the 5'er. My old setup was an old Sunn head through a Peavey 4x10 with a no-name 1x15, and I felt that the 15 really helped round out my sound. So my question is, would adding some 15s be the way to go? Maybe an 18? I've been eyeing the Ampeg SVT-215e because it matches my 810e, but I can't find much info about them (and it looks like Ampeg has the wrong specs on their site, as they are the same as the 810e) . Opinions? OR would adding something like a BBE or an Aphex 204 clean up the low end enough? Just some ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!!! :bassist:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bergantino NV215 (2 fifteens and one six inch mid driver) or NV425 (3 tens and a fifteen)

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A Bergie 610 has great lows as well. I think the Ampeg 810 just generally lacks lows. Also check out an Aggie 412, maybe some Mesa cabs, and maybe some Schroeder cabs. I am also getting a new cab for my 400+ (though I may be exchanging the head as well) soon.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I responded with the NV215 or NV425 because it sounded like the poster was sure he wanted at least 1 fifteen in the mix. I agree on the NV610. It's certainly my cab of choice!

5. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Hmmm.... thanks for the input guys! I'm curious how the SVT-215E would stack up against the Bergie 215 cabs. It seems like they get great reviews arounnd here, how much are they? And are they ported?

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantinos are a tad more expensive than an Ampeg, but the 610 shouldn't run too much more than an Ampeg 810. I think the 215 is a tad less, as is the 425. I believe the 610 is sealed, not sure about the 425 or 215. Do a google search and check out the website.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

8. i am also looking @ going the NV610 route for my SVT II..anyone know what, if you can find/get one, a used one might cost?? :smug:

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A Mesa Fridge could get the job done too.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1 the Powerhouse 1000 would probably work great for you. It does a better job with extreme low end in my opinon than an all 10s cab.

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Or pick up a new Mesa 2x15 or an old Mesa 'Diesel' 2x15..... lovely cabs! :cool:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, those were (are) really excellent!

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Best options for you (IMO)
    Diesel series Mesa 2x15 or Powerhouse.
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000.
    Bergantino NV line (Sealed cabs).
    Perhaps Schroeder 3101212?

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Personally I'd like to get the mesa 2x15 and the 4x10 on top since the powerhouse 2x15 is 8 ohms. Its slightly overkill but I tink it would be great.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The older Diesel/RR 2x15's are pretty big and tall, and the 410's are pretty darn heavy (mine weighs about 120 lbs), so putting a 4x10 on top of a 2x15 might be a dangerous proposition for your back! Of course, if you have roadies, then go for it! :p

Tom.

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    My bands new HK projectors full range tops weigh about the same as me which is about 64kg (I dont have a clue how much that is in Americaneese) so if Im gonna be lifting those without roadies whats another heavy cab? :bassist:

If I had roadies Id probably buy the heaviest gear known to man purley because I wouldnt be lifting it :bag: ....and because Im a Bol***ks heheheh

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I'd go with a 2x15 or a single 15 paired with the 8x10

What was your old Sunn head if I might ask?

18. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I am pretty much settled on picking up a 15 or two to go with my 810E as soon as funds permit. The older Mesa Diesel 215s look very appealing, the Bergantino looks great but a little pricey....so we'll see what I can afford in the end. As for my Sunn head, it was a 70's Concert Bass head. IIRC, 200W, soid state, normal and bright inputs with a "bright" switch. Very loud for 200 solid state watts and built like a tank. In the end it was just too bright of a head and not powerful enough, I sold it off with a Peavey 410 to fund the purchase of a JCM 800 2204 head. I think I made the right decision ;) (Sounds great with a Ric or a Les Paul).

19. If you are looking for 215's, the older peavey 2x15's (deep version cab with BW's is what i have) are pretty good and you can get them hellishly cheap!