1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys,

So I kind of reached a tipping point with my Ampeg SVT HLF 4x10 tonight; I think I'm sick of it. I use a Traynor YBA200, which I like, but everything I put into the cab sounds WAAYYY too woofy; even with all the bass cut out on the amp, the sound is woofy with shrill, brittle highs, and just about nothing else in the middle. Now, I know its not the amp, because I have a little Hartke backup amp which I've plugged into the Ampeg, with similar results. Part of this may be our rehersal space, which is small for a five piece (even if we play quietly). So I'm looking for a do-it-all 4x10 or 2x12. I was thinking a sealed cab would tame some of the woofyness. I do, however, want a vintage vibe. I was thinking about the new Aguilar DB cabs, the EBS classic line (probably the 2x12; I've always liked 12"s), the Ampeg SVT 4x10 HE (which is sealed, I think), or anything else you crazy people can recommend! Let me know what you think...

2. I found exactly the same thing with MY SVT410HLF when I used my tube amps with it. I sold it & bought a sealed cab that is easier to move,lighter & sounds SO MUCH BETTER!!! A Bergantino NV610 !!! Even tho it has 2 extra 10" spkrs it's 12lbs lighter, only 3 or 4" taller & FAR EZer to move & a great tight vintage sound-suits tube amps perfectly IMO. Never looked back. Doesn't 'fart out' like the 410 either. 750w 4 ohms. Many threads about this cab.