New cab idea, or is it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karrot-x, Jul 15, 2004.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ok, I have an idea of combining 4 12's and 4 10's. 12's seem to be capable of pushing more air and provide for lower frequencies with less cab *fart*. The 10's will provide the punch and highs willst moving air. The cab should be fully bi-ampable and feed the lows to the 12's and highs to the 10's.

The cab would look something to this nature:

I was thinking of using Eminence DELTALITE® 2510 for the 10's and Eminence Swamp Thing Patriot 12's.

What are your thoughts? Has it been done before? Would the cab be to big? Am I just a dufus and making pointless threads?

PS: Sorry for crude ms-paint skills :/.
  2. That would be one hell of an amp, and probably extremely heavy to boot. I like the idea though.
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That's the one thing I'm worried of...weight issues. The size I have layed out is actually larger then the Ampeg 8x10 *by a few inches*. My goal is to get punch and bottom end so a 6 string user like myself can use the 6 and then use a 4 and not have to worry about switching rigs/settings.

After reviewing ampegs website, it's the exact same W/H dimensions...I wonder if I could get it down the same weight or possibly less.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Why not separate it into two cabs, each containing two 12's and two 10's? That would make for easier transportation. And, there might be some other benefits too. The big Ampeg fridge, for instance, is actually two half-cabs that are "permanently joined". On the other hand, if you're willing to haul around something that big, you might consider porting it "properly", that big a cab can bring your resonance way down. There's a lot of interesting things about the fridge concept, from a design standpoint. It's not necessarily as easy or simple as it might seem at first. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to definitely do your technology homework, and study up on the theory of speaker cab design, before you start building anything.
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd like to keep the look a certain way, the fridge design seemed the best possible solution. I don't think I'd ever build this, but rather mention it to a cab designer to see if they'd like to make it. I don't know 95% of what goes into cab building, and I have 0 clue as to what "tuning" a cab actually is. This would be fun if I were to do it for a project and had money to throw away, I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the idea. Do you think the actual outcome would be the one I want....bright highend/punchy mid/tight bass?
  6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The cab would need to be wider for it to have the 12's on the bottom, I'd like to get some of that rich low end up at ear level as well, possibly make it all 12's on one side and all 10's on the other? How do those speakers sound? Maybe I should just have the idea that you can take it and seperate it for portability :0.
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Another problem is mixing drivers from different manufacturers. It's very unlikely that those, or even most/any, 12s and 10s will be equally loud/efficient.
  8. How about a cabinet similar to Jorg Schroeder's design? That would give you (4) front fired and (4) angled speakers. This cabinet would probably be double the height...about 46" high. The other dimensions would probably be about the same, 23wx16d. Unfortunetly, this still would be similar in size to a fridge.

edit: since I mentioned Jorg's design, mention it to him. I don't know if he'd build a custom cab or not but I feel he deserves recognition since I "borrowed" his design.
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    How about you replace the 10's with 8's?

10. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You're going to have a problem calculating the proper volume and porting with mixed drivers in the same cabinet. You could build the cab with eight separate internal compartments, one for each speaker, but it'd be VERY heavy, I'd imagine at least 160 pounds, probably closer to 200.

If you really must have all eight speakers in the same cab, you'd be better off doing one of these........
  11. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    This design would make it much smaller... still, it'd be very heavy. You'd be better off with a 2x12 2x10.

Edit: What the hizzle... oh well. I see a big black block over the top half, but it should look like a mirror of the bottom but with a tweeter between the 12's. If the picture isn't visible, it basically looks like 2 horizontal 2x12's with the 2 2x10's in the middle, folded to save space.
  12. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    If your going to go throu with the design, i would alternat the speakers like your first sketch, it would be smaller in width and hieght, i would also split it into two diff. cabs, a 2x12 2x10 cab and another cab the same and put a tweet in each

...just a thought
  14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Crude sketch, I'd have back ports and probably have chambers of the 12's and 10's together. The cab would esentialy be a 1210 but multipled by 4 and thrown up into a big box :).
  15. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I just finished building a 4x12 + 2x10 in the same 8x10 fridge size. I'll get pics of it this weekend. I arranged the 12s in a manner similar to the Aguilar 4x12, and the 2 10s acted as a 2x10 sitting on top. Three chambers (210, 212 angled, 212 angled). No tweeter, sealed cab, sounds great! Haven't used it anywhere yet though..

I was thinking about this exact design (original post), but the main reason I didn't do it was to avoid having to make a seperate chamber for each speaker.

(ignore the center lines in the pic.. it's not related to this design)
  16. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Has anyone seen the weirdo Biamp cab that Ampeg made? Its got like... Two 6.5" speakers angled up at the top, Two 10"s in the middle area, and an ovaled 18" on the bottom. Not sure what kinda power it handles... but it probably weighs a lot, and it looks kinda doofy.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why not make it a 410+412 (two cabs, same housing, like the Ampeg), instead of the odd staggering? Probably make it a bit easier to tune and work out.

If you're bent on staggering, what about a vertical design?

10 | 12
    10 | 12
    10 | 12
    10 | 12

But make each a vertically standing cab, sort of a side by side 410+412 instead of stacked (or staggered, for that matter.. Plus, like that, you could lay it on it's side, and put guitar amps on top of it for better projection, and a handy shelf.