Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New cab ohm suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron J, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I am buying a 410 soon which I will probably use both with and without my 8 ohm 210 cabinet. My head is stable down to 2 ohms, so I am leaning towards getting a 4 ohm cab so I will have the ability to run it alone and really push it with my head. On gigs where I am running both the 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs together, there shouldn't be any problems with the weird load (2.6 ohms or something) I am running...right? Would there be an odd difference in volume between the two? Thanks.

2. You are going to get a myriad of intelligent responses. Mine is not one of them. I assume your amp is solid state. I would get another 8 ohm cab so your amp runs 4 ohms. 2 ohms may work but the sound will be compressed as your power supply gets sapped out. I think you will not be happy with the sound quality.

2 ohms are fine for things like a car audio amp running a sub, if the amp is designed for it.

I would only run 2 ohm short term and only when necessary. Use at least 12 or lower speaker guage. Even then, you risk thermal overaload and your amp will shut itself off until it cools(an that's if you are lucky). My Eden can also run at 2 ohms, but is designed to shut off in thermal overload, but allow the preamp to keep playing through the DI so the audience still here's your bass, even if you don't.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The cab at 4 ohms will get twice the power. Depending on the efficiency of the cabs this may or may not mean a volume discrepancy between the cabs.

The real answer is: don't sweat the ohms! You need twice the power for a perceptible (3 dB) difference in volume. Going from 4 ohms (8 ohms x 2) to 2.6 ohms (4 ohms + 8 ohms) will not give you double the power.

I would get two 8 ohm speakers. Not all heads that can do 2 ohms *like* 2 ohms. Also with 2 8 ohm speakers you have many more choices when/if you decide to change your head or go to a preamp/power amp.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    depending upon the sensitivity of the cabinets in question you should be fine

more info