Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new cab on the way

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Jan 29, 2003.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    well I wanted to thank everyone that pointed me towards genz benz earlier this month here at talkbass. I ordered a new 610T-XB2 cabinet from DrumCity-Guitarland, and the truck is scheduled to drop it off here tomorrow. I cant wait!

How convienient that I also have a bar gig that night...

900 Watts
    105 dB 1W/1m
    35-16kHz +/- 3 dB
    -10 dB @ 25 Hz
    130 lbs
    :eek:

I'll be driving it with my R600 Series 2 (700W bridged into 4 ohms).
    I will post a full review with pics this weekend.

[​IMG]

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    VERY nice man,,,,very nice.

3. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Hey, how much does that cab cost? I went to there website but they do not have a price list.
    It looks awesome, and so do the specs.
    thanx.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    round 800 bucks shipped to me from the factory.

i believe MSRP is 1200-1300 on it. They just raised it 100 dollars according to the guys at the bass palace, so it might be more in the near future. also i dont think the company likes drop shipping (but if your dealer can persuade them it saves about 100 dollars in shipping charges)

5. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    man thats a kewl deal, i dont understand how my senior cost 200 more than yours but doesnt have as much lows and only 100watts more.

oh well.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The senior is a much more efficient cab...

and low frequency response is difficult to measure in a number form, so you really shouldn't use it as a basis for comparison...

nonetheless, that's a real nice looking cab :)

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    oOoOoo She's a looker bud!

She looks like a bigg'un, 130 pounds goes to 55-60KG, and she isnt heavy either! Looks like you got yourself a score! Congrats!

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    here it is yall:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and heres the guts. looks to be well built to me. I'll find out tonight how it sounds in a full band/gig setting.

All I can say now is its LOUD, and has BALLS. perfect. Practicing here in my room, the entire rig sounds best with everything flat. interesting...

9. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    dumb question but how did you get that inside shot? does that cab have a back port? or did you take off the little handle thing thats mounted in the back if it has one?>

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    through the bottom ports from the angle of it...

11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Well last night was insane. Yakum Schmakum (yes thats the band name) basically started a riot, it was a grand ole time. Heres the Full Review I promised everyone (if theyre still listening)

Portability: Suprisingly Enough, This thing fit into the back seat of a honda accord 4 door sedan. Though it was a pain in the ass. Its 44" tall, 25" wide, and 18" deep. weighs 130 lb. according to the website, I'd say this is accurate. So its a bit heavy, and quite large, but moving it on flat or inclined surfaces is pretty easy thanks to the tilt back casters. Im especially fond of having only two wheels instead of four on the cab. Tilting the cab and rolling it seems less precarious than rolling a beast like this in a vertical position. Also it allows the cab to make solid contact with the stage when we play. Which I belive is better for bass response in the room, also more secure. There is one handle on top of the cab that looks too small, but really isnt. Its a metal bar type, mounted into the back edge on top, for tilting the cab back to roll it around. There are also two handles on the sides of the cab. I suppose they might be balanced from a weight perspective, but they felt too high for me (and I'm 6'2") So I highly doubt a shorter person would enjoy picking this thing up, even if they are a powerlifter. Picking the cab up onto a 3 ft. elevated stage was difficult, though I'm not really dreading having to do it again. I actually downsized from a 1x18 cab that was just as large, plus a 210 on top of that.

Construction: wow, where to start. This thing is built to last. It strikes me as the Mercedes Benz of bass cabs. As you can see in the picture attached earlier in this thread the cab is heavily internally braced, and padded with foam throughout the inside.The sides of this thing appear to not be 3/4" plywood as the rest of it is (and all of most other cabs) but are actually twice as thick. I dont know it its a single piece of 1 1/2" plywood or two 3/4" pieces laminated together, but its build like a tank. A nifty (though Im pretty sure completely asthetic) design feature is the curved grill. The grill bulges out at the center. The top of the cab is cut in to match the curvature of the crill, and the bottom plate (where the four ports are located) is also curved to match the grill. I dont think this does anything for the durability or sound of the cab, but it is a cool little detail. One strange thing I noticed, the carpet covering is extremely tough, and also doesnt seem to absorb odors as much as my carvin 210 cab. The grill and hardware throughout are first rate, and look quite indestructible. The cab has large plastic stack lock corners almost exactly like an Eden cab. The four ports in front are plastic, and securely mounted. There are two rubber bumpers under the middle portion of the grill to prevent it from beign pushed in, well not all the way at least, as they dont actually touch it. the grill can be pushed in a little bit (bout a half inch) without denting permanently. nifty. The recessed handles are all steel, large bar handles mounted in steel scoops in the side of the cab. I couted and there are 10 screws holding each side handle on. 12 on the top handle. Those arent coming off. The input panel on the back of the cab is plastic, though it is very thick, so I almost mistook it for a metal piece becuase it was so rigid. There are two parellel inputs, a horn attenuator knob, and a speakon input. A couple other little interesting things: The "Genz Benz" logo on the top of the cab isnt plastic or metal, so it wont ever crack. It's actually rubber, and follows the grills curvature even if the grill gets pushed in against the bumpers temporarily. I am curious though, why the "XB" logo on the bottom right corner of the grille is plastic. It looks nice, but It would be cooler if it were the same material as the other logo badge. The white front panel is not carpeted, but appears to be finished with a heavy paint or somethign like that. It's actually speckeled with little black and grey flecks. Cool. Upon looking at the inside shot, I was kind of dissapointed to see stamped frame speakers. Though the magnets are very substantial. Theyre obviously much better quality than the carvin PS10s I was used to. The 10"s used in these cabs were apparently redesigned for the purpose. They now incorporate an "M" roll surround, rather than an accordian style. Its supposed to allow greater excursion, higher power handling, and less distortion. In person the speakers like downright menacing from the front. I like it. The horn is a standard affair, nothign special. I never use them. The overall appearance of the cab is one of reserved power. It's quite intimidating from the front, but I like the clean appearance of black and white, no gold or red trim to mess things up. Ive alwasy hated extra name badges, but I think these are pretty tasteful.

Sound:

Loudness: HOLY CRAP! I just about died when I finally got to turn the amp up to a decent volume.... which ended up being "4" on my R600 (700 watts @ 4 ohms) The volume goes to "10". This cab is uber efficient. The club where we played last night would classify as "large" by any standards, and I had no problem filling the entire thing with bass, with the volume at 4. Any more was obnoxiously loud. Accounting for the different angles in speaker cones, This cab has probably the same surface area as my 210+18 setup, yet it pushes much more air. I think that might have something to do with the quad 4" ports along the bottom of the cab. The cab is rated as 105 dB @ 1W/1m, though I believe this is quite conservative, because it is much louder than an Eden 410 XLT which is about the same on paper (106 dB @ 1W/1m) I also noticed that unlike my 18 (eminence omega pro, 600W) The speakers in this cab could not be seen moving. The 18 would throw out almost a quarter of an inch, and these I couldnt even see vibrate.

Tone: Normally when i try a new cabinet I set all the controls on my bass and the head flat, and adjust from there. I did this as I always did, and strangely enough, didn't feel the need to adjust anything. I played all night with the controls on the head perfectly flat. I even turned the graphic eq off. The only changes I made between songs was switching pickups on my bass, or boosting a little bit of mids on the bass. It's just the way I wanted it. (obviously this is completely subjective)
    I would describe the tone as big and mellow. Very round and warm, but not muddy. This thing didnt fart a bit. A very clean sounding cabinet. Not at all "brittle" as I percieve SWR to be, but not with the huge low-mid hump of an Eden. Its very neutral overall, however by turning up the mid knob on my bass (Carvin LB75PF) The tone became very aggressive, perfect for covers of Rage Against the Machine. When I had to play more Zeppelin, the mid knob went down a little. The cab is rated as being -3 dB @ 35 Hz. and it shows. The bottom end out of this thing is similar to the sound I got when i plugged my bass into my home theater sub. For once I could hear the whole fundamental range of frequencies. On an open B and C the fundamental was slightly less prominent, but it was barely noticeable. It was still defenitly there. Its a completely different sound than I'm used to, but I'm very happy with it. As mentioned earlier, I turned the horn off, As I dont like the way horns tend to echo through clubs and bounce audibly off the walls. When I had the horn on though, in my room it seemed pretty subtle. It was set right at half from the factory so I left it there until I turned it off. At this setting it added just a little bit of "snap" when I slapped and then popped the high strings. But it was in no way obnoxious. Overall this cab has a pretty neutral tone to begin with, although It gets pretty mean if you boost the mids a bit. It responds nicely to boosting the low frequencies, but I had no reason to do this. I would describe this as producing a big "wall" of powerful sound that cuts through well, yet still supportive and musical as a bass instrument should be. (in my opinion)

This thing cost what I could probably finaggle a new 410XLT for, but blows it out of the water in every aspect (except portability) in my opinion. Of course the downside to huge sound is a huge box, but I'm used to that, so I can live with this beast.

Comparing with the other 610 cabs Ive played, this isnt nearly as harsh sounding as the SWR, though just as loud. It has a bigger bottom end than the Ampeg SVT 610 HLF, but doesnt "growl" as much. The construction quality is much better than the ampeg and the SWR. I dont believe either one of these cabs has 1 1/2" inch thick side plates. Though I dont think they weigh as much either. The cab comes with a 3 year transferable warranty, and from the looks of things I highly doubt I will need it.

If you have a decently large vehicle and a good strong back I would highly reccomend this cab to anyone. Sorry this was so long, hopefully it well help someone.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, right on man...i've been really interested in trying one of these things out, but no one in the area carries them. there is one place that will order one if i promise to buy it, though. sounds like you're pretty impressed. cool deal.