New Cab or New Head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creaturecalm, Feb 17, 2003.

1. hey there all, this is my first post on talk bass. so far i've been quite impressed with what i've seen. anyways my question is in regards to upgrading my rig. right now i'm rocking a Peavey Mark VI XP Series head with a Hartke 4x10 Transporter. ideally the whole system needs to be upgraded in my opinion, but what should i upgrade first; the head or the cab. i'm looking at getting some David eden gear and am wondering if the peavey will suffice with an eden 15 or if i should go with the better head and manage with the hartke cab?? all your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I would suggest the order of replacement depends on what problem you are trying to solve first.

The solid-state Peavey heads have a reputation (I'm not suggesting it's well deserved) for being a bit sterile, or brittle sounding, but being built like tanks.

The Transporter series doesn't get terribly loud or terribly low; those features were sacrificed so they would be inexpensive and easy to move.

If your current rig is loud/low enough, go either way. If you need more volume or lows I'd look at a cab first. If you like the sound of your cab but need more volume, perhaps you could add on another; Transporters aren't that expensive.
  3. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Have you tried the Eden 15? It may be right for you, but I hear alot of people here are not overly impressed with the Eden 15s. I think is that they lack low end or something, but do a search and I am sure you will see what I am talking about. But by all means try one.
  4. My Eden 15" does not lack low end :D

Replace your head first.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IMO, you should find a speaker cab you believe you'll be happy with first. Once you know you have a good speaker cab, then you can evaluate your amp. You may not need to upgrade your amp. You might be happy by improving your sound with a Sansamp or something...
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I second that opinion.

You might consider keeping the 4x10 and augmenting it with a 1x15, 1x12, or 2x12.
  7. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok I might have been wrong on that, I jus want to encourage you to try what ever you end up getting in person, or at least check out reviews of that item. Personally I would spend the money and get a nice 4X10 a Bag End(thats what mine is) Aguilar or an eden 4X10 should all give you very good low end with a tight focused sound, if thats what your going for.
  8. I would agree that if he wants only one cab, a 4x10 would be better than a 1x15. My 1x15 is paired with a 2x10.
  9. thanks for the advice, it seems like i need to do a little research first before running off to the music store to spend my life savings on the dream rig. one other question, what are everyones thoughts on combo amps, specifically those that consist of one fifteen and one ten???:)
  10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think they're too heavy! ;)
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Don't forget 1x12 combos (there are some good ones). Check this URL (has some 1x12 & 1x15 combos):
    [Note: there are 2 pages to this.]

And check out these two threads:
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden

The cab has much more impact on the sound, than the amp (excl. EQ). Well, actually, the cab and the room...and teh EQ is to be used to compensate for the room acoustics, to make teh cab sound as you want it to.

So get a good speaker, that sounds good to you with any amp (EQ flat). Then consider if you really need a tone shaper, or a "coloring" amp, or a special EQ. Or not :meh: !
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My 2 cents..... new head first, keep the 4x10 and get a 15 to go under it. You won't grow out of a rig like this for ages.