Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New cab pics...review will come later

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Nov 25, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My new cabs came in while I was in class! WOOHOO! Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse Jrs, Diesel series. I haven't had a chance to plug them in yet, except for the five seconds between customers and lessons. My first thought is "Damn, these things are sweet!" I probably won't really get a chance to play around with them until next Monday. A review will come eventually, but until then, look on and drool with me.
    [​IMG]

Wow. Didn't realize the pics were that crappy. I'll take better pictures eventually, probably about the time I get around to doing a review on them.

2. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Are those each a 10 with four 8's?

They look sweet.

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    they're a 12 and 4 8's if i remember correctly. Very cool cabs

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Holy cow. Very nice indeed. I'm going to be looking forward to your review.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Gee, those look nice. Golly.... wow.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you could be a little more patient, I was actually going to talk to you about them tonight. :rolleyes: :D
    Ok, here goes...keep in mind this is with only about 45 minutes total of play on them, so this is by no means a full review.

Bright and Punchy
    The 8s, though they don't seem to do alot of movement, really bring out the bright coloration of these cabs. I run the horns off (one of which is a little noisy, anyways. Maybe because they've just been sitting in the Mesa factory for years?), and these cabs are still quite bright. I was expecing a litte deeper tone from my experience with the SWR Henry 8x8, but then again, the Mesa 2x15 is pretty dang bright for that type cab.
    The 12s like to dance, and put out some solid rumble in the low mids. They don't do a whole heck of a lot for the deep lows, though. There is a noticable drop-off starting around the E and going down. It's really not that bad, but a little more than I was expecting in the low B-D region. I don't want to say that these cabs are a little thin sounding yet, but it may turn out that way. Nothing a good tube amp won't take care of! I may have just gotten to used to my 15 cab making things a little thicker. Maybe these cabs are actually just making me realize the ATK is not as great a 5er as I liked to think. ;)

Coming from an SWR rig of a 2x10 and 1x15, it is quite a departure. I plan on trying out all my combinations of cabs over the holiday break. I'm still putting the SM400 through these cabs, though, so they're a little underpowered. The cabs are rated at 300 watts each, but I have a feeling they're going to like to eat some watts!

I wanted to get away from that SWR sound that I'd been using for right about 5 years now, and I've definitely succeeded here. I now have to decide which head I want to run with these, but I think I've decided on the vintage SVT I was telling you about, BTA. Should be just be just the right touch of tubey warmth, vintage fun, and another excuse to spend money that should probably go towards my education.

Edit: Forgot to add that I bought these having never actually seen or heard one, and only seeing appx 3 pictures online. A little unorthodox for me, as I usually ponder purchases until I've missed my chance, but the risk was WELL worth it! I got an AMAZING deal on the cabs, and along the way, dealt with some really great people I hope to deal with again in the near future.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry, I had to be impatient, and couldn't talk to you tonight about them. I was hanging out with the beautiful people. :D

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I picked up a second hand Powerhouse, Jr. (Diesel series), and it is not your Ibanez that is whimping out on the low end. This is not a cab that has a ton going on in the low end department. However, as you accurately stated, it is certainly bright and punchy, especially for the era in which is was produced. Paired up with the right cab(s), it can work quite well. I had intended on using mine on top of my Boogie 4x10 (also Diesel series), but as of yet, I have not paired them up. The 4x10 is in my basement, and the Powerhouse, Jr. went straight to my band's practice room. There, it sits on top of my heavily modified Peavey 1820. The 1820 was relegated to practice duty because I was very tired of hauling it around. Then, after blowing the 18" several times, I finally replaced it with a 1,000w RMS Madison Executioner. Man, what an improvement! The low end will seriously shake your guts! And I am not exaggerating! With that in mind, it pairs up with the Powerhouse, Jr. quite well. Either my Walkabout or my iAMP 800 can power these two cabs to very loud levels, and it all remains clean and tight. FWIW, I also replaced the 10's in the Peavey with Seleniums, and they sound far better than stock as well.

So, my suggestion would be to try these cabs with some other cabs that have more low end, but perhaps need some definition. I would think that they should sound great with Diesel 4x10's or 1x15's underneath them. I still have to try that myself, but I can tell you that my 4x10 most definitely has more going on from the E string down than the Powerhouse, Jr. - but the Jr. has snappier mids.

Enjoy!

Tom.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Arrgh!! Bloating!! GAS!!

Now I truly need one of these cabs. That and an old Boogie 1x18 would be lovely. I wonder how the RR version of the Jr. would sound compared to the Diesel version, hmm?

What kind of speaker is being used for the 12"? I think they were using Edens, butI am not sure. 12's were not very popular for bass back when these were being made, and perhaps now that there are alot more on the market it would be worth checking out a replacement for it. That could extend the low end of the cab, or it could destroy the tone. Who knows?

*scuttles off to scour ebay*

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I believe that the 12" is an Eden driver, and the 8"s are Celestions. If you search the TBL archives, there is a fairly extensive post from a fellow who toured the factory and bought one or two of these.

With regard to the RR versus Diesel, while I haven't heard a RR Powerhouse, Jr., I have had a chance to hear the RR and Diesel versions of both the 4x10 and the 2x15 side by side. I'd say that any differences aren't worth writing home about. I prefered the look of the Diesel cabs, and we don't have roadies loading our gear onto a tour bus, so I saved my cash and picked up a Diesel 4x10. I must say, though, that if I did have roadies, I would have gone for the 2x15. That is still one of the best cabs I have ever heard. I just didn't feel like lugging it around.

Tom.

12. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The first thing that came to mind with these was throwing an 18" under one. Actually, now I've thought about the Acme cabs. I hear they do amazing lows with 10s! Maybe Bag End? I dunno. Another head is the next step for these, then I'll look into bringing in the booty-shaking lows.