Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New cab quandry!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Oct 27, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In your opinions, what makes a 1x12 better than a 1x15? Pros, cons? Basically, I'm looking to replace my 1x15 cab with either another 2x10 or a 1x12. I'm not looking for a deep ballsy sound but just a clean sound that cuts through with just enough bottom. I've been using a 2x10/1x15 setup. The 1x15 has no horn and I definitely want the new cab to have a horn. I'm leaning towards another 2x10 but I'd like to hear opinions first. I would go to a music store and do a sound comparison but the cabs in question are Avatar's and they are not sold in music stores at least in my neighborhood they don't.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    In general, a well made 112 will sound faster & punchier than a 115 (there are exceptions between specific makes).

If you want something that's as deep as most 15's, punchy as most 10's, loud, and fairly balanced, check out the Schroeder 1210.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    they are not sold new in any music store.

if you like the sound of your Avatar, then you should grab up another.....get yourself a 112.....it'll add that bottom that you are looking for while staying fast and punchy.....

-Mike

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Bag end 115 with or without coaxial hi end driver. fastest punchiest 15 on the planet.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I want to get away from 1x15 cabs. It's either going to be a 2x10 or a 1x12. I'm leaning towards the 1x12 at this time.

[​IMG]

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    well, you're leaning the right way....you won't be disappointed in that cab.

-Mike

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The BE S15-D is smaller, (I think) lighter, and probably punchier than the Avatar B112. Second-hand, probably in the same price range (as a new B112).
    [As I said above, there are exceptions to my 12"/15" generalizations. Not all 15" cabs are created equal.]

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    wow...these guys are coming hard core with their Bag End recommendations. I think you better buy one. :)

-Mike

9. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    DWbass, the 2x10 and 1x12 would be a good match and portable. The 2x10 and 2x12 would be a second choice, but I am not sure if the 12's would be too much for the 10's. I am in VB. Where do you gig in Tidewater are? I would like to here that setup. I am interested in Avatars possibly the new 4x10NEO.

Shane

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm trying to get my rig a little smaller and more modern sounding. I may or may not just stick with the 1x15 but I may start eq'ing myself a little differently. We play a lot of private gigs but have played at Mitty's [Omni Hotel, although now cancelled] in Newport News, Starz Rest. & Lounge [Bonney Rd.] in VB and Steppin' Out [Nevin Rd.] also in VB. I'm actually leaving this band at the end of December for too many reasons to post here. You'll catch me with somebody though.

Rhythm Magik Calendar

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end 1x15................... :p

has to be heard. Want a twelve? knock yourself out. All i'm saying is i replaced my swr 4x10 with one and people refuse to belive that i'm just playing with a 15 - they keep looking to see where i'm hiding the tens. :D

12. Ivan,
    So you're saying that any model of the BagEnd is killer? I was thinking of getting an Avatar 2x12. Would you suggest the BE 1x15 instead?

BTW, sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.

13. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I dont care what anyone says; if you dont have a decent 15" driver as part of your system, you arent really getting full bass out of your bass. I suppose one could say the same for needing an 18" but the law of diminishing returns kicks in below 15".

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd try one. they're nowhere as cheap as avatar though :cool:

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And I disagree wholeheartedly. It depends on each cab. When I A/B'd my rig with a 1x15 and a 4x10 and alternated it with TWO 4x10's, I got fuller bass, MUCH fuller bass. Everybody there agreed. And these were high-end "boutique" cabs, not crap.

The Ampeg 8x10 doesn't have a 15, and its lows will knock you on your hiney . . .

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You owe it to yourself to seek out a pair of Bag 15s for a listen before you make a decision. Yes, they're THAT good.

17. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Sure an array of eight speakers might beat out one 15" for low end...certainly Phil Lesh's 70's wall of sound produced low end and all it took was a couple of dozen drivers and a few thousand watts. But Ive never heard a 2-10 or even 2-12 that can make the low end of a good 15" driver

18. If you've never heard the Schroeder 21012 I can understand why you would say 15's are better than 12's.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    "Here we go!"

First off, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There might be an argument for most 15" cabs projecting better than most Nx10 or Nx12 cabs (although Schroeders can definitely match all the ones I've heard).

Let me think...
    Acme Low B2, Bergantino HT210, and EA VL210 are 2x10 cabs that are at least as good as some of the best 15 cabs, if not better than most;
    Schroeder 1210 (1x12 + 1x10) slays the vast majority of the 1x15's I've heard;
    Epifani T212 & Bergantino HT212 are both 2x12 cabs that do the same.

That Schroeder 21012 (1x12 + 2x10) will stay up with or better most 1x18 + 3x10 stacks.

Now if you're just talking a specific tone you like and not depth & low end output, you may be able to make a case for 15" cabs.

To be fair, even with 15's there are exceptions: Bag End and Bergantino make some very punchy cabs with 15's, then there's powered Meyer Sound cabs...for a small fortune.

I have no problem with anyone preferring the the sound of Nx15 cabs, we all have our own personal tastes (my first bass cab was a 2x15).
    While generalizations can be made, there's almost always exceptions that don't fit in so nicely into our preconceptions.