New cab(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Aug 10, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So I love the sound of my Ampeg SVT410-HLF, but as of right now, it's not the most portable thing in the world, I can't fit it into the car I usually drive, so whenever I use it I have to take my mom's minivan. Also I'm going to college in a week, and I won't be taking this, simply because it will be taking up too much room. I would like to have somthing by next summer that I could be gigging with, and take it to my dorm the following fall. With this in mind, I have no idea what to buy. Keeping in mind that I use an Eden WT-400, so if I use two 8 ohm cabs, I'll be running 200w to each, would it be wise to get a 2x12 + 2x10, a 2x10 + 1x15, or just get a slightly smaller 4x10? Let me know what you all think. Thanks. -Brad
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how about a couple of nice 112's????

I love mine!!! nice deep tone, portable about $375 ea. 42 LBS each
  3. someone here just posted a pic of their eden rig... i forgot who it was though. they had the 212 and 210. looks (and i bet sounds) killer. although it wouldn't really shrink your rig at all...
  4. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I'm in the same boat, I'm tired of lugging my Goliath 4x10 around, and it won't even fit in my car.
    There are some boutique cabs that are small and will easily absorb 400 watts. Some 2x10 or 112 cabs will easily handle your amp, just depends on how much you want to spend. I'm looking at a Schroeder 1210 right now.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Used Bag End 2x10 up at Bass Northwest in the Used Gear section of their site would be a nice choice. Small but deep, pretty heavy but it rocks. Add one of their 1x15's on the bottom and you're done.
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm going to college too pretty soon....

I dont have that much money....

I cant have stuff being too huge....

And I really need some quality, because if the opportunity comes, I want gigs.

My Mind is made up, for the most part. Avatar B210 Neo + Avatar SB112. Cabs are about 45lbs each, and will handle the huge load of power from my RMX1450.

Look into 210's and 112's. Personally, I'd have went with Aguilar if I had the money... but I think most of us know Avatar is the way to go on a budget.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've never had a 410 or 115 , but I use to have 210s of SWR workingman, back when I was starting, and I thought that was great, BUT, I tried two EA cxl-110's and pumping 350w into them didn't do the trick for me, maybe my taste, but at this point in my "career" of bass playing lugging a couple of 112's is perfect and if you have the right amp (stewart 1.2 :D ) just kidding, you can expand upto a 4(112) if necessary.

WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY? don't be fooled into thinking that a micro rig or less than 210 rig will do the trick, especially if you need volume. I've learned the expensive way, volume usually comes from surface area first and enough watts also, not just pumping alota watts into small speakers.