1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Invader, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    I took a break from playing bass and due to my situation at the time I had to sell my gear to take care of some sudden unexpected expenses. Now jump forward to now and I am looking at buying a new rig. I have used a 410 and 610 cab in the past, however I am actually looking to branch out and perhaps try something new. I have been looking into a diesel Mesa 215 cab, but also today a guy posted on my local Craigslist selling his SWR Workingman's 210 and 115 cabs for $300. I am looking for recomendations as I search for a new cab setup. I don't want a 810, however want a nice middle sweet spot cab wise. Or should I just stick with what I know with a 410? And I get different brands, drivers, etc. I am just generally asking for input.

2. I think 12" and dual 12" cabs are where it is at these days.

3. rollin$tone

rollin$tone Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    That set up sounds pretty reasonable for 3 bills! That would get you going fairly inexpensively until you wanted to move on up! And my back gives a +1 for smaller cabs! Those 6 and 8 speaker cabs are grueling! Killer sound, but at what expense? I don't play any colluseums. JMHO.

4. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    I figured $300 may be a fair deal, however depending on how desperate he is to sell and firm he is on the price I may be able to get it down a little more. Anyone have experience with the SWR Workingman 210, 115, or a 210+115 setup? Of course the Mesa/Boogie RR Diesel 215 I am also considering is right now $50 more and I have heard a lot of great things about that cab as well. All cabs are in great condition as far as the electronics and speakers goes, few cosmetic scuffs as expected with used items but nothing major.

5. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    Any other input? Turns out the guy is pretty firm on the price of $300 for the SWR Workingman's 210+115 cab setup, however I still think that is a alright price no?

6. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    The Diesel 2x15s are fantastic; it's basically a pair of TL606 cabs in one box with massive EVs. They are heavy and awkward. I gigged a single Diesel 1x15 back in the day and loved it.

I'm also a 1x15+2x10 guy, which is what I'm gigging now. You need to know that this is kind of a dated setup; read TB on "mismatched cabs" to get an idea. That said, the SWR stuff is solid and $300 for the pair sounds more than reasonable.

One thing I like about that route for you is the flexibility. I used to leave the 2x10 at the practice space, as it was loud enough for rehearsal. Sometimes I'd gig with only the 1x15. Or you can rock both of them. Depending on your head, you can bi-amp or not. Again, bi-amping a 2x10/1x15 is a dated practice and lots of in-the-know ppl here on TB can tell you why it's not ideal.

What head will you be using?

--Steve

7. This.

Also have you tried your amp with any of the cabs?

8. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    I actually don't have a head right now either. I am basically building a rig up from ground up again. I know going the cheap route is not always the best and you get what you pay for, however I am on a tight budget. I was looking into a used Acoustic B200h or older Peavey or whatnot. Something below $200 range basically.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's a fair price on the SWR cabs. It'll basically give you a rig big enough to gig most anywhere that you could break down, take 1 cab for small stuff, etc.

The Diesel is a pro cab. More aggresive sound than the SWR's, and the kind of loud you'll never need more. It's also about like moving an 810. Gotta ask yourself if you want to move that much cab for every rehearsal and gig, even small ones. I think Mesa puts lead in those things, but it is sort of one of the industry standard touring cabs.

10. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    You're limited at $200. You mentioned Peavey. The MegaBass is a great head that can be grabbed for $150 all day long. GC has 5 on the used gear site now. I love this head. Do a search here on TB--could be an option for you.

--Steve

P.S. Unless they were abused, those SWR cabs should be great. And I agree: the Diesel would be a PIA to lug around.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Diesel is a bit of a pain, but SO worth it for what it gives back. Solid too, it'll never fall apart.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to used Peaveys for your $200 amp. Might be able to find a T-max for that. If you do, grab it, you'll be happy. Another good older amp you might find for that is the Gallien 400rb. Or, if the right deal comes along, possibly a 3-pro if you like the Ampeg sound.

13. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    Thanks for the great tips and ideas. I figured the Mesa would be a PIA, however I too have heard that the cab makes up for it. I have also looked into one of the $200 GK 410GLX's they have a abundance of as well, however read they weight a ton however I do appreciate the mid's and brightness it seems to have tone wise because of the metal cones. Below is a photo of the SWR's the guy is selling.

[​IMG]

I play mostly rock music (influenced by anything from good ole' rock tones to punkish and grungy tones) Like mid's and highs, but of course love some bass as well. I also can see how having two separate cabs could benefit, however I have always been a one cab type of guy. Looks like the 15 may have casters though. I know most venues would have DI/PA support, however how do you think this 210-115 setup would rank on it's own? Rank against say a 410 or 215?

I too have been very aware of mixing cabs which is why I have always been a one cab man, however I often find most who believe in that to accept a 210 and 115 over a 410 and 115?

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, 210/115 is much more balanced than 410/115 is, but still not optimal. 2x 115, or 2x 210 is always the better way to go.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, the pair will be on a pretty even keel as far as power handling, etc. It's not the wild mismatch a 410+15 is. Output of roughly a 410.

Those Swr's are going to be sort of warmer/smoother in the tone dept. When you say you like the brighter, more uppermid sound, the nod would go to the Diesel.

16. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I am a 2x10/1x15 person, but $350 is a screamin' deal for a road ready Mesa/Boogie Diesel 215. The EVs alone are worth a lot by themselves. It looks like this, right?

attachment.

If you don't mind schelpping it, I'd say jump on it.

--Steve

17. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    Yep it look's like that and is in the flight road ready casing. I drive a truck so it's not a room thing, loading in and out would be the only PIA I could see especially the lifting. Moving it may be tolerable because of the casters.

18. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    Cool, so generally speaking which cab setup would everyone moreso prefer as I am kind of torn between the 210+115, the 215 or a 410 at this point. Each to their own respects as far as possible brands etc.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In your situation, I'd opt for the Mesa as long as it has the EV speakers in it/hasn't been replaced with something else.

It's a really good deal and they hold value. If in the future it turns out not your cup-o-tea or you just can't stand moving it anymore, you'd be able to sell it for at least what you paid for it, maybe a little more, and you wouldn't have to wait around very long for a buyer either.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If it's newer, it may have Mesa branded speakers in it, which is fine. Just saying make sure they are correct for the cab and somebody back in history didn't blow it and put something cheap in there.

Then it will hold that value for basically the rest of your life.