Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Aug 18, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I currently own an ampeg 4x10HLF to go with my mesa 400+. Im thinking about selling my 410HLF buying a 6x10HLF cabinet. I looked on ampegs website and there is barely a weight difference and i want something more punchy and full then my current cab. Ive played through a 610 with my mesa amp and really liked it. What do you think?

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I've never played through a 6x10, but if you decide to sell the 4x10how much would you be asking?

3. Dont do it i had the SVT610HLF with my SVTCL head and it sucked. The cab is dark very boomy and not punchy at all, reason heavily ported , the tweeter sounds like hissing sid so you turn that sucker off.

I now have the following and its a superb balance of clarity, deep lows punch and loud ampeg roar.

SVT 15E + SVT410HE

Portable and stack well

Or get the SVT810 which is not ported its like two SVT410HE cabs and is what you guys see all the time on pro stages.

Marty

4. Bergantino NV610. Waaaaay Punchie!!!!!

5. He already has a 410, no need to sell it to buy an 810 thats unliftable and huge when he could just add another 410.

I think you should go with the 610, but try and find one to try out before buying if you can just to be safe. Also see the option of adding a 210 on top of your current 410.

6. I just picked up an 6x10 HLF about a week and and i love it and im not an ampeg guy by any standards (swr for me if i had lotsa money :smug: ) but this cab excels in my mind. I play rock type music through it with pretty tasty basslines and i can either dial in with my mesa m2000 punchy with very little bass or take on a ride and have it turn into a massive wall of sound. Ive played through the 8x10 and i didnt enjoy it much and its way too heavy for my standards. Depending on what type of tone you are looking for i think this cab is suitable for almost all kinds of music but then again im still a youngin so who knows. But i attest that the 6x10 is a rocksolid cab capable of many glorious things go get a 6x10 buddy.

-Vince

7. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    well if i were to by another cabinet along with the 410HLF i have already, what would it be to make it equal to a 810E cabinet. Are combining two cabs really going to sound as good as one big cab though? I wouldnt get an 810 now because its too big thats why i was looking at a 610 because it looks like it would be very similar to an 810 except not as big and loud. Just a smaller version.

8. The 810 and the 610 HLF are totally different beast. 810 doesn't have much lowend as its sealed and the 610HLF has a good bit of lowend but wouldn't be as punchy.

Maybe try adding a 410HE or a 210HE on top of the 410HLF if you're looking for some more tight punch

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Punch? I get fine punch out of my Ampeg BXT410. However, the low end isnt too impressive. I have a 15 too though....

With that in mind... I'd recommend the Ampeg PRO410. I played one and its really much different than the the standard SVT sound (That I'm personally not a fan of).

The 410HLF is 4ohms, so you'd need to get another 4ohm cab if you wanted to add to it. With that in mind... another option would actually be the Ampeg BXT210. Awesome cabinet that can tilt back. Punches like the mother.