Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Apr 11, 2002.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hi guys, I'm a five string low tuned bass player who is playing in a creed/pearl jam type hard rock band and I am looking to replace the current Peavey 4x10 tvx that I have now. I have a Peavey Firebass 700 head that will put out 475 watts at 4 ohms. I am either considering buying a new 4x10 and adding a 1x15 or another 4x10 later on, or I'm thinking about getting some type of 6x10. What do you guys think would be a good cabinet for a low tuned rock bass player? I need something that can cut through rather well, and I am pretty satisfied with the way tens produce the low B so I'm not totally set on the 1x15. Oh, I also use an Ibanez Phat Hed bass overdrive, and a boss bass chorus. So I would like something that is going to sound good with the mild overdrive tone that I use. Any suggestions or opinions? I am leaning twoards ampeg classic cabs cause I like the tone, but are they reliable? Can they take the abuse of the road?? How about putting out volume? Anything else I should seriously consider looking into?

thanks,
    Josh

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I have heard that the Acme's are great for handeling a Low B, but are extremely power humgry.

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'd recommend looking into an SWR Goliath III. Its 700W, available in 8 or 4 ohms, only weighs about 90lbs, has casters, is seriously loud (105db @1w/1m) and will cut through really well. They go for about $700 new but are reasonably available used too. Some say it sounds too clean, or brittle but I really like mine. Really punchy!
    Just my thoughts. Thanks

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    man you might be the perfect canidate to try out the (kinda) new genz benz 610 XB. if i remember correctly its flat -3 dB @ 35 Hz, and 105 dB efficiency. i think itll run ya about 700-800 new. check out the website http://www.genzbenz.com

5. If you like 4x10s and you want an Ampeg-like sound with big power handling and huge low B response, look no further than the Aguilar GS-410.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    btw theres also the older GB 610 XB (with the older speakers) on ebay occasionally. it doenst get bids at the price its listed at, maybe you could bargain with the guy and bring the price down (buy it now is $575 i think)