1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Cabinet Dr. Bass 2460 2-12" at 4-ohm ?? anyone use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockiezz, Apr 5, 2009.

1. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    I am looking at a new cabinet, A Dr. Bass 2460 NEO This is 2-12" and a 6" with a horn. Here is the question, I have and do use 8-ohm cabs, a 4-10" and a 1-15" as of recent. That brings me to 4-ohm and it works the GK-400RB just right. So I take these out and bring in the 2460, will I still have the same amount of power/sound/presence? I know my tone will need worked out but I want to remain just as present on stage. I like the idea of one cab, a little less to move and i also have been looking at a LM-II to toss up on top. One other issue is if I want to add a 15" cab 8-ohm, what will I end up with for Omage (is that a word). Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Both the LMII and the 400RB work with 4 ohm minimum. That two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab. If you buy a 4 ohm cab, that's all you can use.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    ...but it will be plenty loud enough, been there so I know. :)

4. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    What are some disadvantages to one 4-ohm cab. I know the Carvin BX-500 will handle the 2-ohm load.

5. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    More and more amps are rated down to 2 Ohms so there is no disadvantage anymore. Not that there really was one in the first place. :cool:

6. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    So I bought it. 350 smackers. I was impressed (of course) and can't wait to try it out. I would like to get a 15" extension under it, rated at 4-ohm to get to the 2-ohm load. Does anyone know what happens to the ohm load with a 4 and a 8 ohm cab set-up?

7. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    A 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab together will provide a 2.67 ohm load to the amp which is no problem if the amp can handle a 2 ohm load. An 8 ohm 115 under your 4 ohm 2460 should rock! ($350 is a great deal)

8. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    5-StringPocket, Thanks! I did some surfing here on the forums and got that answer just a little while ago, some good answers in here I say that, you just gotta look. The cab is sweet, has Ampeg style grill cloth, from the factory. So I'll have to try and match that with the bottom cab. JZ

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Have you cranked it up yet with the 400RB? I thought I saw your wife running out of the house! :D

10. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Yea! She's warming up. LOL! I have to wait, I left the 400 at the club (awww). I need to do some research (ask for help from the Forum) on 2-ohm amp choices for stage two of the new rig. I think I want to add a 15 to the lower end.

11. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Have you considered either a GB Shuttle 12.0 Max or Mesa M6 Carbine? I own both - different sounds but either one is a monster with lots of headroom. The Shuttle is punchy and a little more focused while the M6 is a little deeper and more organic.

12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Use it for a while by itself, you may find the 15 unnecessary. If you really need that kind of bottom, maybe a 24" Hartley should be in your future! :eek:

13. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    So I played the Dr.Bass last night A/B'ed with my present set up, 4-10 with a 1-15" 4-ohm total. The Dr Bass did not hold up. Not very clear and lacking a solid low end IMO. Maybe I'm asking too much. Had the volume to fill the stage OK, just not the tone. I guess I'll have to work with it some. Doing a small venue this Friday so I'll lug it there and see how it works on that gig. Anyone interested in a nice 2460?

14. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Usually 2 cabs will put out more sound than a single one.........

15. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Sold. Not that it wasn't a well made cab, just not for me. I think it's a 4-ohm thing. Thanks everyone!