1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New cabinet for rehearsal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HoosierCuse, Jan 26, 2012.

1. HoosierCuse

HoosierCuse

Jan 26, 2012
    Forgive me if this is too basic, but I'm relatively new to the electric bass. I have a GK Backline 600 that powers a GK 410 cab. I'd like to get something more portable to take to rehearsal and smaller gigs.

Should I get a 115 that I could also pair with the 410 for larger outdoor gigs? Should I stick with GK since the other is a GK? Or should I just get a small combo amp?

I don't want to spend too much, but I want something that's going to sound great.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 15 and 410 aren't the best idea to run together trying to get loud. You could just pick pretty much any small cab to carry back and forth and use the 410 for big gigs.

3. HoosierCuse

HoosierCuse

Jan 26, 2012
    Sounds good. Are there any smaller cabs you'd recommend with the Backline 600?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Define "spend too much".

For rehearsal, most any 112 or 210 should be loud enough. What you think sounds good only your ear can tell you. No need for the brand to match your amp, can try most any other brand bass cab...or a gk if that's what you like.

5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Are your rehearsals very loud? What kind band/music? If it's quieter acoustic stuff (no drums/quiet drums), a 1x12 would probably do.

Personally, I would get a 2x10. If your 4x10 is 8 ohms, you could run an 8 ohm 2x10 along with the 4x10 if you needed more volume in the future.

6. HoosierCuse

HoosierCuse

Jan 26, 2012
    The rehearsals can be loud (drums, 2 guitars and a sax). The 4x10 is 8 ohms.

7. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I use an old MESA Road Ready 115 loaded with an Eminence 3015 for rehearsals and it has more than enough volume. Ive got around 250.00 into it.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    IME people tend to need just as much cab for rehearsal as they do for gigging. Smaller rooms have cancellation modes that kill bass, so if anything you may end up using more power, not less. I'd add a 2x10, of the same make but twice the impedance of the 4x10, you'll probably use that mainly in smaller gigs, the 4x10 at rehearsal, both when in huge rooms or outdoors.

9. You need enough volume to keep up with your drummer, whether it's practice or a gig. If a 2x10 will give you enough volume, that's a good solution. We have a big, old and heavy 1x15 in our practice space that just stays there.

10. Combos don't provide you with very many possible options. That said, a Mesa walkabout scout 15 at 8 Ohms with another 15 extension cab would be the complete kit and kaboodle. I own and love my G-K 1001RB head, but I am not a fan of the goldline or backline crap that they make ... It is almost as bad as Behringer. See if you can hunt down some used peavey gear, it is tremendous bang for your buck, also Hartke (like a ha3500 or lh500) has good value as well. I dislike 410s, you have to carry them and they can be heavy, I much prefer big cabs (like an 810 or 215) that way I can roll it where I need it to go and can ask for a hand if I need to lift it, also since it is tall I don't feel like all the bass is only hitting my knees. All the best. Cheers.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I definitely use way more power in practice than on the gig.

12. HoosierCuse

HoosierCuse

Jan 26, 2012
    That's exactly what I got. I went with a 2x10 GK cab that weighs 30 pounds. It sounded great in our first rehearsal, which was very loud. Thanks for the help.