1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New cabinet just started to rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I just picked up Rumble 410 cab and today I noticed a certain rattle coming out of it when I play through it. I turned the volume up and down and played different notes but I keep hearing it. Like something came loose inside. I moved it from the bed room into another room thinking it was a piece of furniture or something but the more I examined it, the more I believe its the cabinet. Or a speaker. Each speaker works. I put my ear to each one and I watched them move also. But it could be internal..It could be the tweeter. Should I open it up and investigate? I was thinking of returning her for a refund. It was the floor model and I know they don't have any more left.

What should I do?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Could be as simple as a loose wire touching the back of a spkr, or as bad as something worse. Open it up and look, but if you don't see anything obvious, take it back.

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Yeah... I want to but I'm afraid I'll scratch it or something and then they'll say something like, "You damaged it and we cannot take it back."

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't rule out the room just yet. I've had room rattles that I'd swear were coming from the cab many times. Try it in a couple different rooms and outside.

Rattles can come from many sources in cabs...loose screws, loose nuts on the jacks, a piece of the inside lining coming loose, not enough lining, a wire touching a speaker, an air leak, or even blown speakers just to name some of the more common causes. It's OK to take off speakers to check inside, but just remember the wiring so you don't put it out of phase and don't poke a hole in the cone! I wouldn't go too deep in finding it if it's new, though...that's what return policies are for.

5. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    If you're concerned about being blamed just return it. Don't bother opening it but it could be something as simple as a loose screw

6. Floor model? I wouldn't rule out a blown speaker. I'd return it.

7. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Well.......... upon further inspection...

I found a small dent in the metal corner cover. I'm thinking that, even though its small, the store may not think its worthy of returning and knock it down if I try to return it..

So I ended up opening it up... and just for your information, there is no batting inside. Also, its made of MFD as most of you already know. I did find one loose screw on the caster cup. No loose screws elsewhere.. So I checked the speakers and nothing is wrong. I hooked it up and everything and played it. Nothing sounds wrong, but I really couldn't tell if I blew the tweeter. I heard a static sound come from it. I couldn't here any difference between the tweeter on or off. Just static. Static stopped when I removed one wire.

But that really has nothing to do with what I heard originally. If it wasn't so late, I would turn her up and keep listening. I'll do that tomorrow.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No batting, eh? In a 410? Man, I'll never understand why in 60 years Fender can't get their bass amp division together. I just got an 09 AmStd Precision today that plays and sounds beautiful, yet Fender still can't make the right moves on their bass amps. Why do they even bother?

9. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY

I gotta tell you though Jimmy, this cabinet sounds really good. I had her out on a gig and thought it sounded great and after I got home and listened to the recordings, I thought the same. But its funny how that wonderful sound is no longer there. Now of course I wonder if its the cab or my head:rolleyes:

10. Hey Jimmy-how much did Ampeg pay you to say that?

:D
    I'm kidding.
    The TV series amps are pretty neat though.