1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New cabinet! Now I need a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CRich0205, Oct 12, 2013.

1. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I picked up a Hartke 215VX today from guitar center used an got a good price, trading the combo amp I had has left me with no amp. I was able to play a GK goldline 500 and an older peavey through it. I liked the GK better and am pretty set on one of there amps. I'm leaning towards a 700 or 1001rb if the only difference is output, the 700 is 480 watts IIRC so I shouldn't be able to blow the can but this will be my first amp cab rig so I'm a little undecided.

2. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I have owned and gigged a VX215 for many years and have used many different heads with it (Carvin, Peavey, Hartke, Ampeg)...that GK 700 will ROCK that cab nicely! The VX215 is a low end monster, but it does have its limitations. Hartke heads are a fine match as well...I used it with an LH1000 and it sounded great.

3. You should be able to blow the cab with 480w RMS without trying too hard. Test out a new cab before playing in a loud band, much easier to find the limit without damaging cones.

4. I was pretty surprised to learn from Robert A Gallien himself of the quality components that went into the G-K Goldline 500. It sounds like one sleeper of a value and you won't be using the Bi-amp of the 700RB II anyway with that cab (but you will still have the 700RB II's main poweramp).

5. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have to save just a bit more money to get the amp but I will definenly check out some of the hartke heads out. My local GC didn't have any to sample to you tube videos will have to suffice.