New cabinet options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues dawg, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Blues dawg

Blues dawg

May 6, 2020
    I seek input from this esteemed, August panel. Am considering a new cab (s) to pair with a new SB. Am considering 115, 410 or 610. not super pleased with my current setup - peavey 115 with an eden 410 -
    looking at ampeg svt’s for the 410 or 610 and fender neo 115
    Any experience running thru any of these? Suggestion? Warnings?
    I play rock and blues and am a jazz bass guy

2. My suggestion is not to run a 1X15 with a 4X10.

gitfiddl, Lobster11, nilorius and 5 others like this.
  3. Blues dawg

Blues dawg

May 6, 2020
    Thanks. Of the 3 what would be your go to?

4. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I agree with this. Do a 115 or 410, but not together.

Of the 3 you mentioned, I like 115 the best. However, the 410 would be a good choice too and I gigged with one of those for a long time. I honestly feel like a 610 is overkill these days. It mainly serves as "wow" factor for hard rock/heavy metal bands that give you props for hauling a mini-fridge around to gigs. Functionally I don't think it offers any significant benefit over a 410 or the 115, especially with modern amp technology.

Ggaa likes this.
  5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    For 15's, I'd recommend 2 rather than just 1.
    For 10's, I'd recommend 2 210's stacked vertically rather than a 410.
    Have you considered a 212? I'd recommend a 2x12 over 15's or 10's.

6. Blues dawg

Blues dawg

May 6, 2020
    Cheers. Thanks!
    why 2x12?

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Because a good 2x12 can compete with any of those listed (2x15's, 2 2x10's, 4x10, and possibly even a 6x10), and would be the lightest and easiest haul compared to all of those.

William Calosso and Haroldo like this.
  8. Blues dawg

Blues dawg

May 6, 2020
    Recommendation?

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I have a Barefaced Super Twin that I really love and would recommend.
    I just noticed that you want to pair it with an SB (sorry, I missed that until just now), and I'm not sure what an SB is, so not really sure how well the SB will pair with a Super Twin. If it's just an amp it should be fine, but if it's a combo then you should probably get a cab that is designed to pair up well with the combo, preferably the same size speaker that the combo has. I'm a strong proponent of matching cabs or using cabs that are designed to work together. But if it's going to be your only cabinet, then I highly recommend the Super Twin.

10. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    Epifani (as in Nick Epifani) makes a line of cabs that are built with dual coil speakers and an 4-8 Ohm switch in the back to allow you to properly match the Ohms between the cans. They are the D.I.S.T 1 and now the D.I.S.T. 2 line of cabs and you can mix or match cabs of different sizes and configurations. I was skeptical but now I own a 1x12 cab and a 2x10 cab. They sound great together or individually. I would describe the Epifani sound as being clean, articulate with tight bass. You can always add distortion or other pedals to color the sound as you wish but there are no pedals that can clean up a dirty sound. They are not cheap but they are well made and well worth it. Also, they are light weight. DIST2 — Epifani Bass Amps

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have recently become very good friends with a 2-12 cab. I have some Mesa cabs that pair pretty well but the 2-12 is a BBC Tank that I originally picked up because it's easy to carry and pretty small. Turns out it's loud and proud and ported and is able to handle all the lows I can throw at it. Bring your head to the shoppe and play a few cabs if you can.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    What is a new SB?

Pulverizor likes this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    610hlf is pretty good. I'd go for the fender neo 610 though if I could do it again. But, take your pick bro. They're all great. 20200805_184305.jpg

14. FDR Jones

FDR Jones Inactive

Apr 7, 2018
    Super Bassman?

wave rider likes this.
  15. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    I have a fEARless F115 and a fEARless F112, and a Carvin BX1500.
    The F115 weighs in at 43.5 lbs, the F112 at 34 lbs, the BX1500 (1500W) at 10 lbs.

The bass players I played with over the years (I was a keyboard player first, added guitar later, very recently began playing bass badly) had 4x10s and/or 1x15s, and I was leaning that direction until I stumbled across TB a few years ago. The current rig is relatively compact, lightweight, versatile and loud (if I need that).

16. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Good question.
    Super Bowl? Spring Break? Salary Band? South Bridge? Small Business? Sonic Boom? Space Bar? Stealth Bomber? Sound Board? Sex Bomb...??

Is it a Sex Bomb?!

Oh! Oh, maybe lol.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  17. Blues dawg

Blues dawg

May 6, 2020
    Thanks. The SB is a super bassman

18. I’ve use an Ampeg 6x10 with a couple different SVTs (6x6550), which I consider to be the same family as the Super Bassman, with good results. Recommended.

19. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I'd recomend 2x 112.

20. Blues dawg

Blues dawg

May 6, 2020
    Thanks
    thanks bud