1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New cabs from Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizay, Mar 25, 2009.

1. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hi. Under News at the Epifani site, they say that they are coming with two lines of new speaker cabs

http://www.epifani.com/news_article.php?id=20

From Epifani site:

Anybody seen one or heard more about it?

Searched, but couldn't find anything about it.

2. They are discussed in the Epifani Mega thread. They are not shipping yet.

3. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Cool, ill check the thread :)

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Epifani changing their speakers every 2 years? You dont say? Its been too much, they make your cabs obsolete too fast. Lets say you want to pair up your cab later? Good luck. Some may disagree but thats how I feel. I have an Epifani.

5. Actually, the UL line has been their primary speaker line, with pretty much the same line-up of cabs for many years (maybe 8 or 9). They did switch to the lower cost and more available Eminence Neo's in that line of cabs a couple years back, but I don't consider that a 'change' versus just a tweak to the line due to cost considerations and supply. They still sound very good.

They do talk a lot about tons of new products, but they don't seem to ever hit the market. They basically have the UL line and the PS line (which is basically a lower cost revision of the old NYC ceramic magnet line), and a couple of amps.

Since they are now moving to be a more mainstream brand, it does not surprise me that they are putting more effort in the lower end of the business (Epifunky). We will see if these things ever see the light of day!

The DIST cabs seem like just a bit of a tweak on the UL line to me, and the impedance switching, which was a dream back in the day, seems a bit 'too little too late' with all the heads that can run safely at 2ohms now and others being 'stereo designs' that can run 4ohm per side with no problem. Who knows though! The interesting thing about speakers with the dual voice coils needed to switch from 8 ot 4ohms is that, from my understanding, you lose some efficiency. If the 4ohm DIST cab doesn't have the same SPL, etc. as a 4ohm UL, then the design is somewhat questionable to me. However, I don't know the details at this point.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a pair of the Epifunky cabs (2x10 and 4x10) and a pair of the D.I.S.T. cabs (2x10, 1x15) in for review right now, and the initial results are:

:eek: :D :bassist: :cool:

7. I'll be curious to hear about the SPL of the DIST cabs versus the UL (since we all know that even a slight drop in SPL can easily offset the additional wattage put out by a solid state amp at 4ohms versus 8ohms), and also if the Epifunky line will replace the PS line.

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    UL may have been around 8 years but we have UL-1 early UL-2, late UL-2...
    3 versions in 8 years? New products & development is great but if you're rushing to put stuff out there 1st & it has to change too quickly that aint too good either in my mind.

9. IMO, those are not 'new products', but rather minor changes based not on R&D, but on product supply lines and cost. The primary reason for going to the Eminence drivers, resulting in the 'series II' version of the UL's, was cost and a shakey B&C supply. This change was years after the introduction of the original UL's. The later II's are only different again I believe due to cost and supply (that wonderful lightweight Italian Poplar has become very expensive and hard to get). All these cabs look virtually the same (just a tweak of the grill material and badge) and sound very similar.

So, I don't veiw any of these minor changes as 'new products' at all. Many companies tweak their products based on parts supply and cost.

I do feel that the UL line has unfortunately been on a steady if subtle downward slope regarding quality and design though.... all the minor changes have IMO combined to result in lower cost components and heavier weight, which is why I no longer recommend buying a new one (for the most part) to anyone at this point. Pure IMO there, and my guess is the vast majority of potential UL customers are unaware of any of this, and just see the UL line as being pretty much constant over time. Sometimes, TB can be a curse, since we dig into this stuff so much!

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) That means you know, and hopefully you're allowed to drop a hint here........do the new cabs also have that slightly scooped mids family resemblance to the UL line?

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Most definitely, yes. The D.I.S.T. cabs sound very much like part of the UL family. I was just jamming through them last night at practice. :bassist: