Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New CAD/CAM bass update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Sep 21, 2000.


  1. Well today the project actually began to take shape...so to speak. I cut a test blank from MDF (medium density fiberboard) to test some areas for fit. Everything went very well as you can see:

    [​IMG]

    The reason for the blank was born out when I found that the neck pocket is just a wee bit too tight for heel of the neck. The shape is correct and it's length is perfect for what I wanted but I will have to enlarge it slightly. The pickups were a perfect fit. Although it is hard to see in the photos, I also cut test holes for the bridge screws and the holes for the strings to pass through the body. I'll be comparing the bridge holes to the actual bridge when I get it from Warmoth.

    The blank from setup in the router and running the cuts took about 40 minutes. This included cutting another component for the process - a registration base to hold the actual blank and be able to flip it over to route the back features while keeping the blank in perfect alignment to the front cuts.

    There'll be more to come!
     
  2. gweimer

    gweimer

    Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Way cool! I look forward to the updates. :cool:
    p.s. - The Green Lantern bass has gone through a change. I gave up on the neck, and just got a neck blank off Ebay; we'll be making a GL headstock now! (that's GL, not G&L!)