Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Calin Wultur Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SLivinghouse, Jan 30, 2005.

1. I just got a Calin Wulrur Panormo 3/4 Flatback from Steve Swan in CA (Sacramento based but has customer throughout the State.) Really nice carved bass with big bottom.

Steve's a real good guy to work with. Very patient and helpful and let me audition serveral models until I found the right one.

Also, if you need bass work done in the Sacramento region I can't speak highly enough about Jeff Sahs of Jeff Sahs Violins. I had him install adjusters and check out the bass. Local bassists around here speak very highly of him who have had major repairs done. He also had quite a few nice basses as well.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Where're the pix?

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So, does Steve Swan sell instruments and not work on them?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have the same bass - it is acting as a backup bass right now. Any ways, I will give you a tip that could save you a good chunk of change, that bass sounds best with a K&K pickup. I tried them all and the K&K sounded the best out of them all. ;)

5. Hey Jazzman thanks for the tip on the pickup. Which model of K&K worked for you? I went to Bob Gulliher's site and there are several models.

No Pix yet.

Also, Nick asked about Steve Swan. He's a bassist and I believe he used to be a guitar builder at Santa Cruz Guitars. He does light stuff like setup on bass, but major stuff goes to Jeff Sahs in this area. Better ask Steve if you want more details.

6. The_Jester

The_Jester

Jun 28, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    I also bought a Calin Wultur from Steve about 2 months ago. I got a Carcassi 3/4 Flatback and am very happy. I have showed it to my luthier and my teacher and they were both very impressed. Steve was very helpful and he was a joy to do business with. I am using a K&K Bass Master Pro and with a little tweaking it sounds great!

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I tried the bass master pro, but settled on the double big twin. I also had the golden trinity mic for recording and to send to the FOH.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nice to see some other DBT users here; I sure like mine. Sounds great, non-invasive installation, and cheap.

9. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Thankyou both for the kind words. I like this model quite a bit. Barrie Kolstein tells me that their version for about $20,000.00, which inspired this less expensive one, has been a big hit with professional symphony players for many years. Somewhere I have an old issue of Strad from about 1980 that featured Sam Kolstein's shop and it showed a famous northeastern player picking up his early example of this kind of bass. I played three different versions of this model in my band, Cabin Fever, over an eighteen month period. They kept getting sold out from underneath me! In a world filled with Panormo copies and narrow shoulder French repros, this very old Italian model shape can take a little getting used to. I've learned to love it and now occasionally see other basses from 150 years ago that seem to be inspired by this kind of shape.

To answer the question, I don't do much work on the basses that I sell. Why have a local high school batter on your baseball team when you can get Barry Bonds to knock them out of the park? Between Jeff Sahs here in Sacramento and Alex Friedman in South San Francisco doing great repair and setup work, I don't need to get in there mucking things up with a knife and file. Now I need to do the same thing with the website since my good friend Keith Porterfield killed himself last July. It's been very hard for me to ask someone to go in and change his last work for me.

Steve Swan
    Bass and Acoustic Guitar Retailer

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Marcus, do you run the DBT right into your amp? Or do you blend it with a mic?

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Into the Raven Labs blender, either by itself or blended with the AMT mic, then into the amp or PA.

Sidetrack; did a jazz duo last night with a great pianist, to a room of about fifty people, private function. There is a really nice Steinway grand in this room, but since the manager wanted us in the opposite corner of the room, we instead had to set up the amps and use an electric keyboard. It was fine, but what a missed opportunity for a great unamplified gig. Arggghh... :rollno: I'm playing no-amp for the rest of the week.