1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Car Day!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FingerDub, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I've been looking for a good all-around vehicle for about 6 months and had been targeting the Scion xB. It's easy in easy out and lots of storage for all my bass stuff, all of the seats fold down except for the driver's side and you could camp in it if you wanted to, gets great gas mileage, Toyota reliability and when I drove it I felt pretty comfortable in it and liked the driving position pretty much everything about it. The color wasn't my first choice, but I like it enough and I'm sure it'll grow on me. I posted a car thread a while back and was looking to spend less but I needed to move on something and here it was at a great price so I went for it. 28000 miles 2013 model, clean interior and exterior, clean title and I picked it up for about 9,500. I think it's going to last me for a very long time and I plan to drive it into the ground.

20171209_152914.

20171209_152928.

20171209_152943.

murphy, catcauphonic, PWRL and 8 others like this.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Nice gigmobile.

FingerDub likes this.
  3. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Yo, you could get 2 8x10s plus basses in here with the seats down if you wanted.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'm still gigging with an older Miata.
    ;)

FingerDub likes this.
  5. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Nice.

6. My nephew's SO has one. They both like it. I hope you have good luck with it like they have.

FingerDub likes this.
  7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    There’s a lot of those in taxi service around here. That tells you something about how they’re built. :bassist:

FingerDub likes this.
  8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    My xA has almost 200k on it. I've had a 'fridge in it before :cool:.

FingerDub likes this.
  9. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Had no idea, good to know.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm still quite happy with my XA. The newer XB should be a fine car!

FingerDub likes this.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One note: My XA has never been great in snow. Don't know if that's germane to where you live. I just installed a set of snow tires for it, after getting good use out of snow tires on the family minivan for a couple of years.

FingerDub likes this.
  12. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    No, it's not. I live in CA. I made sure my car was also from here.

13. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    The rear pillars look larger on the inside than the outside. That's interesting.

14. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Go on....

15. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    From reading lots of car magazines, that's supposed to mean that it's roomy inside without looking boxy on the outside. The cargo area does look roomy, and it's pretty sleek on the outside. Good choice, I think.

FingerDub likes this.
  16. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Before the Ford Transit Connect and other Eurovans became available here the xB was quite popular as a city delivery/service vehicle. I'm lusting after one of them Fords myself (dealer is across the street from me) but suspect the xB's are more reliable.

Gaolee likes this.
  17. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Recently bought a 06 Matrix 5-speed wagon and am really liking it so far but some day I will own a first-gen Xbox. I briefly rode with Paul (owner of Curbside Classic.com) and was impressed with the overall utility and build quality. Great for gigging.

murphy likes this.
  18. renault-modus-01-04255605eb51dae90e16648aa3301870f4af985c.
    Congrats and, hoping I'm not gate-crashing the party, it's my "new" car (deposit paid) day. I'm spending less time in NW England and more in Southern Spain now. My regular vehicle has the steering on the wrong side (or the "correct" side if you're very British) and the regulations make rematriculating to Spanish plates pretty awkward anyway.
    To shorten a two-month long trawl of internet searching and hiring cars, lets just say it's been an education. Whatever price band I set, I seemed to be turning up the optimistically described ones. One ad boasted of a "libro de revisiones" even though the service stamps clearly stopped in 2007.
    With a few days left on another hire, I'm putting €2600 into a 2005 Renault Modus from a garage owner who at least has changed belts, oil and filters. Used car prices here are a shock for Brits, so please look away now, my USA chums who get real VFM. That 1.4 litre engine and the slide-forward rear seats practically guarantee a 2x10" will be no problem and either the CMI 100W or Ampeg 60W will have it doing wheelies (oh wait, it's front wheel drive).
    Pic is from 2005. Add dents etc and 120,000kms. Wish me luck.

19. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Crash away! Good luck with the car!

murphy likes this.
  20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Good luck! Wheelies in a car like that ought to be entertaing. 120,000 km is only about 90K miles. I don't remember the last car my wife and I bought with less on it that that. I suspect that my next car will be a Dodge Promaster City. It's really a Fiat, which gives me a bit of pause. But, it fits what I want it to fit without the need for a trailer. A longer version of a cargo Transit Connect almost fits everything, but not quite. A Metris is just a little bigger and would be nice, but Mercedes quality ain't there anymore, and besides, those are far more expensive. If I'm going to have a maintenance issue, it better be cheap to start with, like a Fiat/Dodge would be. It's going to be a while, though. The old Chevy Express is too big, uses too much fuel, doesn't fit in garages, but also doesn't ever seem to have any problems. On its way to 150k miles on it now. It will probably make 200.