Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New car dilemma

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Turski, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Okay, so it's time for the wife and I to buy a new car. Right now we are torn between a Ford Fusion, & a Pontiac G6 Coupe.

My choice goes for the G6. I like the way it looks and drives. But the Fusion is slightly cheaper, and sports another 12 hp power over the G6. The G6 has more options, and the monthly payment is a tad bit more on the G6.

We can swing the payments on either car, what would you chose if you were in my situation, and why?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    12 hp? That's only a fraction of a dB.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pontiac G6 is just another way to package up and sell a Saturn Ion.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ford is a four letter word.

I'd rather have the Poncho.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I don’t know about either one... one is ford... means garbage right away. Another is Pontiac... plastic manifold rules your world... trust me my bro had to replace engine because apparently plastic manifold explodes... because you know… they are PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t know if g6 has plastic one but I am betting on it...

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'll personally never buy a Pontiac after seeing all the problems my Dad's had with his Bonneville. What a money pit that thing is.

I drive a Ford explorer, and its been great. Very Solid. I'm almost at 80k miles I've had no problems aside from routine maintanence. I wouldn't hesistate to buy another Ford...especially new.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    American made SUV's and trucks are very much different from American made cars... I personally drive a jeep but I would never buy a car made by American company. SUVs/trucks are different... we seem to know how to make those sometimes... cars is a no-no for us... we lost the touch around 1980's...

Ford wise... my pops had a ford car... before we donated it, it had 5 tanny changed in it and 2 engines... along with everything else that went wrong almost every week... we had to throw it away before 100k mark... trash

Like I said... Ford trucks might be good... Chevy trucks might be good... even Chrysler... but oh god when it comes to cars we suck at it nowdays...

I hear that... what a crap that car is... we had 2 in my household… your dad is not the only one...

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I own a Ford Ranger 4x4 now, and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems with it. But the G6 is such a sweet ride.

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    If it follows everyone I know's experience with Pontiac, that will be true for about 2 years. You will then curse it till the day you get rid of it.

My experience with several Fords isn't much better, They're OK for the 1st year, bearable for the next 3, unbearable for 1, then dead.

10. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    for all you who think ford is junk, i now have an 1986 Ford F-150 XTL with a 300 ci. 6 cylender mated to a 3 speed overdrive, which my dad bought when it was new and it still runs fine after 20 years (ok so theres a little rust). and in response to your problem my answer is neither. how bout oh say a '71 Challenger Convertible with an elephant under the hood?

11. Agreed, you have to get at least 10x the horsepower to make the car sound twice as loud.

I vote for the Honda by the way. Wife's car is a 95, something like 180K on it, still looks and runs great. Can't beat em. They get great resale if you want a new one, have to sell them, they never wear out.

Randy

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

OMG didnt you read anything i said... you have a TRUCK... we are talking about CARS :)

biiiiiig diffrence...

Oh yeah and about the 71 Challenger...

In 35 years things change... Its like saying accord is a small car because in 1976 it looked like this:

[​IMG]

13. Bah. Save your money and buy a 280 Z.

Rock on
    Eric

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Thanks for all your input guys, but I do believe we are going to go with the G6 coupe. It has everything that we want in a car. The wife will be driving it most of the time.

I'd love to get something like a Honda, or mitsubishi, but my bank account will not allow this to happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    btw take a look at altima... pretty good car and i think should be in your pirce range...

g6 is better choice over ford though:) Saturns are not entirely bad cars...

16. The Altima is in the price range at first glance, but when you add in all the incentives that Ford and GM slap on their sedans' hoods, it's way more expensive.

Ford and GM are still in the business of giving away mediocre sedans (which are actually quite reliable these days, according to Consumer Reports) in order to get enough fuel economy credits to sell big SUVs. Chrysler has mostly extricated itself from that business, now that it makes tons of money on the 300 and the erroneously named Charger, but just as it's done so the Mercedes side of the company has started to become a drag on earnings.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    It's the wifes car, so she's the deciding factor.

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Yep, we just bought a 2006 Ford Fusion.

Looks just like this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 3.0L 24-valve Duratec V6 generates 221 horsepower and gets 21 mpg city/29 highway. It’s teamed with the class-exclusive 6-speed automatic transmission. Four valves per cylinder and dual overhead camshafts with intake variable cam timing (iVCT) enhance engine breathing and improve performance.

The price on the G6 was too much for us to handle. I don't want to spend too much money.......how would I be able to buy more gear? ;) My equipment should have no problem fitting in this car.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nice! congrats man