New car opinions!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Looking for a car. Have a 1998 Saturn, so trade in around 1500-2500. Here's the options we've looked at. IN ORDER of most important to least.

Total price of under 20,000 (after trade, etc.)
    4 door
    Smaller size (car or small truck/suv)
    2000 or newer
    4/Full/All wheel drive
    Under 45,000 miles

Any opinions? Not looking for speed, just reliability. Thanks!
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ever thought about Subaru?
  3. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA

Mazda 3 Hatchback loaded. BMW performance in a biggish small Japanese car. On a realistic level this car is the equivalent of an Audi 3 or 4 even. Run don't walk to the dealer now.
  4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Toyota Matrix XR 4WD.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A suburu or Matrix would be my sugestions as well.

The requirement for all wheell drive really limits teh choices, otherwise id suggest a Mazda 3 hatchback (i dont think they are awd)
  6. I drove a loaded Mazda 3 sedan for a summer. It was a very nice car. Pretty peppy, good gas mileage, comfortable seating and you could pile a surprising amount of stuff into it. If I were looking for a new car I would certainly consider it.
  7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Honda CR-V!
    I've owned SUVs from Isuzu, Jeep, Ford and have driven almost every SUV out there.

I own a 2003 CR-V. I've gotten as much as 30mpg, it has a huge cargo area (far bigger than my Jeep Grand Cherokee), has tons of rear leg room, AWD, Honda reliability, its a LEV vehicle, is easy to park, drives more like a car, front and side airbags, I could go on and on...

I had a good bit of money saved up and was looking to buy a car and pay it off. I could have put a down payment on a bigger SUV or sexier car but for me the CR-V was exactly what I was looking for.

When the '08 redesign/hybrid comes out I'm probably going to pick one up! I can't recommend it strongly enough. Great car.
  8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Nissan Xterra 6 speed manual: 17/24 mpg
    265 hp, 285 lbft torque
    base price 19,000, good model = 23,000
    with the trade in value and some wheeling and dealing you could probably get it for 18 or 17
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You'll probably be lucky to get $1000 on a trade for a Saturn. You'd be better off selling it privately, or waiting til a dealership has a 'we'll give you at least $x for your trade' if you want to get that much for an 8 year old Saturn.
  10. Volkswagen Passat Wagon (GLX w/all wheel drive)

I've got the front wheel drive version.:( (but I love it)
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hang tight, Sadowsky should have a line of compact cars out soon. :D

12. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Yeah but only if they have a vintage motor version. :D