Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Car Stereo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I took a break from searching for amps, preamps, cabs, and basses to stop by a place called Car Toys here where I live. It is like Bass Central for car audio/video freaks. I bought a cell phone from them and needed a car charger.

While I am in there, I see these neat-o looking door speakers, and start to think how crappy my el-cheapo Ford factory door speakers sound in my 1990 F-250. So, I casually ask this dude how much. $70 for two 6.5" Infinity's. He says they are normally $100. I decide to buy them. As I am walking to the checkout counter, I pop my head in the car deck room..aye carumba!!! They have some cool stereos for cars these days. The last deck I bought was 10 years ago. It was a "B stock" Sony CD player with AM/FM radio. Yeah, I am not really into car audio. I mostly listen to sports radio when I do have the deck on.

I see this JVC KD-AR360 for $170. I ask the guy if there is any incentive for me to buy a deck to go with my new speakers, he says no. Oh well I figure, I don't need a deck really. Then, he tells me how is this for an incentive....$114 for the deck if I install it. I say sure, take it home and the wiring harness from the Sony fits perfectly into the back of the JVC. It took me all of three minutes to install it!!

So...this deck is awesome. What I have found out so far is that it can play Sirius satellite radio, it can play WMA's, CD-RW's, and MP3's. I can fit 200 MP3's on one disk. I was amazed at that. No need for a cd changer!! I also found out it has a detachable face, and check this out....a remote control! Man, people are so lazy today, including me. Here I am driving down the street in my truck, changing channels on my radio with a remote control. Amazing!!! Anyone out there looking for a cheap MP3 player for their car needs to check out this JVC I bought.

-Mike

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know how cool it is to get some nice shiny stereo equipment for the truck. I got a ton of stuff jast summer/fall. I aquired a pioneer premier DEH-P740 mp3 deck with 2 remotes (one for handheld, one for the wheel), a free 720 watt sub amp, 2 pioneer 10 subs, rockford fogate door speakers, and 2 pioneer dash speakers. That is one awesome system. It's really too much for a rusted old 85 ford ranger. But, hey, you have to enjoy the ride right?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How do the door speakers sound?

brad cook

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The door speakers sound awesome. They fart on the low B....woops, wrong application. :)

Seriously, they sound really good. I don't listen to deep bassy music, just hard rock. I can hear the bass guitar really well. I probably wouldn't try to blast some thumping rap music super loud. They speakers are crisp and clear with nice mids. Woops, there I go again. I was able to turn them up really loud, and still get a great sound from them. No crackling or breaking up like the old Autocrafts did. It was a dramatic improvement for $70.

-Mike

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's always fun to be able to turn up your system and not get that ugly farting noise. My dad used to drive a GMC Sierra Denali with the best Bose system, and that thing was AMAZING.

I like to keep my system sounding like a really beefy 5.1 system. Ultra clear with bass that'll make you need to visit the restroom. (No joke!)