Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Carvin 4-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Nov 15, 2003.

1. I'm about to order a new Carvin BB70. I was thinking about a Euro Spector of Music Man Sterling but I've decided to go with Carvin instead. I was curious if anyone here has a Carvin bass with the black stain finish. If so let me see some pictures!

Thanks.

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Cool..what other options are you looking at?

3. I'm thinking either solid black or black stain on quilt. It will have matching headstock, black chrome hardware, and abalone block inlays. I'm undecided on the pickups. My last Carvin had dual H50N J style pups. It sounded really good IMO. This time I'm considering the HB2 humbucker. I hear a lot of people complain about it but from the sound clips I've heard I think it sounds great. I'll let my ears be the judge if I decide to go that route.

What do you think about the block inlays? I've never seen one up close.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i would try and get dual humbuckers

steve

5. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Get a pair of the HB2 humbuckers, with coil splitters. I love the way they sound (although I got mine w/o coil splitters, but I have them on others). Or you could be like me, and just get the single HB2... :bassist:

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I really like the single coils but I'm a j-bass fan. My bass is solid black. The only thing that makes me wish I would have got something else is the ease at which a scratch will show up. Solid black makes fingerprints and junk show up easily too. Not sure if that stuff matters to you but it bugs some people.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think the black stain on quilt sounds cool. As for pickups, I think the HB sounds better when it is blended with a jazz neck pickup rather than when it is soloed. If it were me, I'd get either the J99/HB combo or a bridge and neck J99.

The alabone block inlays are beautiful, I wish I got those on my bass!

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Oh yeah, here are a few other options I would want in a new bass:

tung oiled back of the neck
    5 piece neck (either maple/koa or maple/walnut)
    swamp ash body

:D

9. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Some people have said they wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for quilt and then cover it up with dark stain. I tend to agree. I have a blueburst finish on my Quilted Carvin, and you cannot see the quilt under the black edges. The quilt IS visible under the blue stain. It's a beautiful bass, but from more than a few feet away you can't see the quilt at all. If you opt for solid black, I think you'll be wasting your "quilt money".

Have you visited the Carvin forum? There's a wealth of option opinions there.