Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Carvin Amps and Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 5, 2004.

1. I haven't heard much about Carvin's new amps and cabinets. Anyone tried them out yet? I noticed they make a 2x12 now.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There have been a number of threads on this subject...try a search-o-rama.

You might also want to visit the Carvin BBS at Carvin.com

3. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i have been raveing aobut the head since i bought it. IT amazing, i wanted to try the new cabs but i jsut could bear to let go of my swr's. the combo is just out of the world.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've got a B1500, and so far I like it a lot. I haven't been able to get it up to highway speed yet, so to speak, but it feels as if it's got a lot under the hood (to abuse a metaphor).

One thing that surprised me a bit--in a good way--when I got the amp is that before release it had been described once or twice on the Carvin site as somewhat Ampeg-like. However, it doesn't really strike me that way. It actually sounds pretty clean and uncolored when you run it flat, though you can get different sounds with the EQ and the Drive control. Through an Acme I get a lot of bass, with excellent high frquency extension (without harshness).

As I say, though, the B1500 doesn't seem to have that much of a characteristic "sound" out of the box. For some, that's dull; for others, it could be nirvana. Now, I like it that way, but YMMV.

5. The new cabs look pretty impressive.. the low bass extension is (according to the specs) as good at the Acmes... the 4x10 weighs something like 100lbs with Neodymium drivers, so the cab itself must be built like a brick sh!%house.