1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Carvin BRX15.3 3 Way Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Jul 24, 2012.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    At 72 pounds, I lost interest.

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Way too heavy, the whole point of these 3 way cabs was to be super efficient to take more power in a smaller package.

4. It is no fEarful...............

However, for the same money I would go with the Avatar TB153 which at least uses premium speakers instead of the "what brand is Carvin using today" speakers.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Yea, I've never used a 3 way cab before. I wasn't sure of the purpose of one honestly, but I agree. It is too heavy for me. :meh:

6. A properly implementable 3 way cab is IMHO the best option out there. I bought my first fEARful with out ever hearing one. Liked it so much that I got a second, and then with out any hesitation sold off all my other cabs. The tone may not be for anyone right off the bat, but given some time to re-think EQ set up I think these cabs cover any tone.

7. The fearful concept was originally based off of the carvin lsx 1503 pa cab. I'm sure it would/ could be a great cab. It really all depends what you are looking for in one.

8. And for $480 that's not a bad deal. Their BRX line cabs are built to pro spec and are absolutely solid. Probably way better quality than your avatar.

9. depends on the drivers and cross over. Premium LF drivers are going to sound better than a generic 15 stuffed in to a cab.

10. Their drivers are actually pretty damned good. However, agreed!!

11. Not saying they are not great, but there are no published specs on those drivers. There is a ton of info on the 3015LF. I know its performance is great.

12. I think the mid is the biggest problem with the TB153. I had one but had to get rid of it: it does not play well with overdrive or distortion. Went with a real fEARful.

I am curious on the Carvin though. Everything I've owned of theirs has been top-notch, but that doesn't mean this cab will follow suit.

13. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I haven't looked at the old threads in a while, but as I remember it, the "fEARful concept" existed before greenboy's experiements with the 1503 PA cab.

He used the Carvin box as a stop gap/test bed when he had trouble getting a cab built to his specs and decided the 1503 box was somewhat acceptable after replacing the woofer and crossover.

14. +1

Three way designs are not new. Properly implemented 3 way designs for bass specific purpose are still pretty out there for anyone stuck hiding behind their 410...

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I doubt the Carvin uses a long x-max driver, in which case the TB153 is a faaaaar superior option. My guess is if they were using a super woofer they'd make that clear in the marketing blurb.

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    You're speculating. If the BRX15.3 is anything like the other BRX models, it's a good cab plain and simple.

Just a note, the BRX15.3 apparently won a Bassplayer's Editor's award. Doesn't mean it's better or worse than the TB153 or course, but they don't hand out the awards to everybody. The BX1200 head won one a few years ago, and it's a great amp.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It'll use their PS15 and their ps6 I believe. There are T/Sspecs buried in their site somewhere but it's questionable how up to date they are. They used to have a bad habit of not updating those when they were sourcing from Eminence. You could see changes in the drivers like voice coil diameter, magnet sizes/weights etc. but the specs would stay the same. Maybe they've been updated since the switch to Celestion sourcing, I don't know.

Anyway, it'll be a more PA-ish or "regular" bass cab 15. Likely 96-ish db and 4 or 4 point something xmax. Likely a pretty nice PA cab that could handle some bass in it, or an alright bass cab comparable to normal 15's. A TB153 or fEARful derivitive it is not. It will use the Carvin branded crossover, which might be something "off the shelf" or a tweaked version of something just setup for 8ohms, but not completely driver/enclosure specific. Probably sound good for clean tone, but probably need 2 of them for anything any other "common" 115 bass cab would struggle with.

18. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    "- 15" heavy-duty cast driver, 8" MF driver, 1" titanium horn driver"

The standard PS15 is a steel frame speaker so safe to say this is not the standard PS15. In fact I cant find a ceramic cast frame speaker on their site so it must be specific to the BRX 15.3.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They used to make a PS15, the "PA" speaker, stamped frame, 4mm xmax, and a PS15C, the "C" being the cast frame "heavy duty" bass driver.

Oddly, the "C" was rated at a worthless 1.8mm xmax, but I don't believe that spec either or at least is wasn't updated for later drivers. If it were true, I would've destroyed my early '90's V115 cab many times over. Didn't though. That was a very good sounding fullrange 15 played all by itself. Nice balance of lows/mids/highs, etc. and got a nice growl to it when you really hit it hard and loud. If I knew what I was doing at the time, I would've just got 2 of those instead of mixing them with 210's and 410's like in the catalog pictures. It would've sounded great and I might still be playing them today.