New Carvin combo looks nice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrBonex, Mar 18, 2005.

1. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm not the biggest Carvin ampfan in the world, BUT, that new BRX212 combo looks tres sweet.

500 watts, biamped 50 watts to the tweeter. 2-12 neos. Compact cab. No rat fur cover. 69 pounds. $850.

I think Carvin may have a winner here.

Anyone on the Left Coast have a chance to visit a Carvin shop and play one of these yet??

I'd love a review.
  2. love 2 see a review, just got my catalog and it looks nice, I like the arrangement of the speakers.
  3. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I can't get over how popular this thread is!!!

Damn. Folks around here love Carvin, eh?
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I love Carvin. Seriously, but the new combo hasn't been around long so most people haven't had a chance to hear or play one. In time time.....
  5. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I like the size
    the pull-out handle
    the built-in casters (not castors - a castOr is a beaver)
    the all-in-one 'combo-ness'

REALLY like the coating instead of carpet like even the highest-end mfrs still make us put up with.

6. It looks like it could be a good one for carvin! Looks cool, but does anyone know what the internal impedance of the combo is? i think it would probably be 8 ohms since the amo can go to 2 ohms, but im not sure. It also seems that the straight/angled configuration is becoming popular
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Looks like a cool little box, but I'm not even sure they're shipping yet.

Patience, Grasshopper. Reviews will come.
  8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've yet to read a complaint from anyone who has tried the newer B series amps or BRX cabs.

What impresses me is the weight. At 69 lbs, it's 5 lbs lighter than the Hartke 2200 (2x12") cab I sold. The tilt-back handle/casters make it look pretty easy to move around too.

If I was in the market for a new amp I'd be all over it.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah. Carvin, if you're listening, how about a line of lightweight neodymium cabs with the spray-on coating?
  10. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It doesn't say in the catalog what the driver impedance is. The 2-12 neo cab is 8 ohms (2-16 ohm) but this combo would certainly be better if it were 4 ohms (2-8 ohm). Then the amp would put out 500 watts.

I agree about the coated cover. I'm so done with rat fur.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Regarding the "rat fur", I think its well-settled that if your gear spends most of its time in your home, tolex is better as it doesn't let animal hair stick to it.

Carpet covering, however, is FAR FAR superior on the road, where tolex immediately scratches and tears. Carpet is much more durable in a gear truck.

Tops for durability is truck-bed spray-on liner, IMO. I wish every manufacturer would offer it as an option.
  12. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, the high-tech coatings these days is certainly the new standard. I agree that more companies should offer it. I'm sure that in the next few years we'll see it more and more.

Tolex is only good for looks -- and it works fine on the road if you have cases or covers. I have an old Bag End natural birch 2-12 bin that has been gigged for 20 years and still looks great because it's been covered.

I've got 4-year-old rat fur covered Genz Benz bins that look like, well, rat fur. Not a pretty sight.

I vote truck-bed liner.
  13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm a little confused about the weight. I don't have a Carvin catalog, and this new combo isn't on their website yet, so I haven't seen the info my self, but...

...On Carvin's website, the BRX12 2x12 neo cabinet (only) has a weight of 83 lbs. This new BRX212 combo (which is pretty much an amp head mounted inside a 2x12 speaker cab) is supposed to weigh only 69 lbs. :confused:

Is there an error somewhere, or are these two pieces constructed totally different?
  14. Maybe the combo is filled w/helium- or ...HYDROGEN! Oh, the humanity...
  15. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I noticed that it's not on their Web site, too. Anyway, as far as weight is concerned, the box for the 2-12 bin is much larger (or so it appears) than the combo -- which is very compact.

But I'm probably just rationalizing. You would think the amp would add a big chunk. Who knows? We'll just have to wait until someone can check it out in person.
  16. Anyone got a pic? I could use a rig just this description for smallish gigs.

17. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    that was bad

But seriously, the combo is like half the size of the big 212 cab - different design - looks like a 1x12. Hence the weight discrepancy. The combo has a lot less wood.

I hope the combo explodes with tone...

Best wishes,
    Tom Hindenburg
  18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Hmmm. So, is the cabinet bigger than it needs to be, or is the combo smaller than is should be?... ;) :D

Ah, I see...

...As mentioned above, the combo has a type of Schroeder thang goin' on...
  19. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. :D

The combo is a sealed box (acoustic suspension or infinite baffle, I'm not sure which). The 2-12 bin is vented.

That's why the combo can get lows out of a small box. It will be a little less efficient, but the amp probably has enough grunt.
  20. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon. will it sound? It looks ideal but top notch sound from a Carvin combo? I hope so but will believe it when I hear it. My Carvin combo was barely passable as a practice amp and down right depressing to listen to even when adding a 15" EV. (Older 1x10 100w combo that BP actually liked - not that that means anything.)