Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Carvin IC model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greg, Dec 31, 2005.

1. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Veeeeery interesting. They finally give in to some of the "suggestions" and offer a second body shape, headstock shape, and new pups and electronics. I'm not sure about the new designs personally (I need some time to digest them and at first glance it reminds me of Elrick's e-volution series) but it's nice to see some changes on the bass side of things after a good deal of new product introductions on the g*itar side over the past few years.

Icon 5-string:

[​IMG]

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice changes, except they royally blew it with the string spacing on the 6 string. :scowl:

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    looks cool, i like the headstock and the body design.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Definitely a good shape!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now if they'd just take that "Carvin" off the headstock ...

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    the headstock looks like an Ibanez Soundgear headstock

8. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks more like the Esh headstock to me.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not BAD, a few more tries and I may buy one.

10. what is the string spacing on it? jc...

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So they modified the LB with bigger pickup routes, a sweepable mid, and a Tobias-esqe body, with no other changes........

Unless the pre and pickups are super, it's not a very big step forward...

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Maybe they stopped using ***** wood that warps and snaps the truss rod?

. . . doubt it.

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Looks much better than the LB series to me. I wonder how the new pre and pickups sound.

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've never seen a Carvin that has anything but top quality wood and workmanship. Sorry if you've had a bad experience, but I know people who have had several Carvins and never encounted a problem even remotely like the one you speak of.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not a bad looking bass...

16. I agree. My 3 Carvins are top notch all the way. I have no complaints whatsoever. The necks are sensitive to moisture change but the truss rods work well and I usually only tweak mine twice a year or so...

17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I've never heard of that happening. Do you have an example, or is this just another anti-Carvin urban myth? I've had three Carvin necks with no warpage, and high quality woods. They all were very stable and didn't need any abnormal truss rod tweaking.

I like the looks of this new bass. It will be interesting to hear how they sound once a few people have them.

18. I don't understand the anti-Carvin bashers on here. :rolleyes: Especially the remark you quoted.
    Carvin instruments are excellent quality and use excellent quality woods and the workmanship is outstanding. I wouldn't own 3 (and now be plotting on buying a 4th) if they weren't :ninja: