Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Carvin Products

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BornUnwanted, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Has anyone out there tried the new Carvin cabs, or the new head? They look pretty interesting.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    They're not even shipping the new bass stuff yet. Apparently the catalog was sent out earlier than it should have been. I'd like to check out that new B1500 head myself.

3. I'd like to check out the B1500 head too...alot of power at a good price. The cabinets are too heavy imo.

4. And for those of you that have actually seen the specs...........

It should be called the B1900

thats right folks, 1900 watts @ 2 ohms, $799 :eek:

5. Heh. I was pretty surprised at that. I have the R1000, and, to be honest, all the options annoy me. If I were to begin playing bass full time again, I'd probably search for a new rig, or a new head at least.

6. WhatOtto

WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    I Agree, I have the R600 and I pretty much leave all the options alone except perhaps the parametric eq....

7. I have to agree. I have the R1000, and for a while I was using it as a power amp only (slaved off of my pre/power amp setup in my other rack).

The idea of a no-frills, powerful mono-block amp for $799 is sounding very appealing.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    IMHO, they only can go up from the Red Line stuff. But think of the reliablity problems you're probably going to get with that much power for $799. The Red Line stuff was more expensive, and i've heard of tons of reliability problems from them. Even if the tone is improved on these, it won't be worth it if it doesn't work half the time. :meh:

9. There DCM2000 Power Amp is reliable as hell and cost only $530. I'm sure the parts needed to make the preamp and head cost lower then 270 per head. So there making a profit and your getting what seems to be a great head.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Where can i see these new products? I was at Carvin.com looking around, and didn't see anything...

11. My only complaint about the Red Line head is that it's too elaborate and difficult to find a good tone with, but I guess it’s my fault for buying the darn thing. I've never had reliability issues with it during the two years that I've owned it, though.

romeoarmada, the new stuff is in the catalog that Carvin sends out via mail. If you aren't subscribed, chances are that you won't get one...

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, i am subscribed, and my latest one (probably got it about 1 month ago) doesn't have any of the stuff you guys are talkin about.

13. The new books were not due out until January, but some slipped out.

The new gear will not be on the site until after Winter Namm. However, if you go to the Carvin BBS and look under Bass Amps, someone that got a book scanned and posted it there.

14. I got my catalog over Christmas and was surprised to see the new units. I thought the new amps looked like a great thing, especially at the price. Kind of reminds me of Peavey stuff some how. And on second look, they appear to be DCM amps with tone controls. Not a bad thing I guess.

The speakers on the other hand, don't look like a big deal to me. I saw a sneak peak in the BassPlayer article about Carvin - they had some shots of the prototypes. But for Neo magnet speakers they seem awfully heavy. I find them kind of ugly too, especially with those big white casters.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nothing like speculating on the basis of no real information about a product that no one has yet bought or used and that you have not even seen, let alone played. :rolleyes:

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hmm, I found it quite easy to get a tone I liked--I just ran all the EQ flat, punched in the mid button, turned off the compressor, noisegate, and graphic. However, the RedLine I owned didn't like being bridged into a 4 ohm Acme. I've since found that Acmes *when new* may slip slightly below 4 ohms at times, and this may have been the cause of the problem. Whatever, the combination sounded good.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used one of those DCM2000 for about two years in my bass rig, ran my Eden Nav preamp through it. Sounded great, always reliable. Heavy as hell, though, and the design of the front grill plate would rattle - I had to put a foleded piece of construction paper in there to keep it from making noises. Eventually moved up to a QSC 3002 because it was much lighter for about the same power.

If they offer a bass amp designed around the DCM2000 power amp, I think it would be a decent unit.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have played the Red Line stuff, and I must say it was crap. Hopefully, the newer stuff will sound much better. The Pro Bass 300 I tried was such a good head I almost bought it.

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For those who may be interested, apparently Carvin printed the wrong specs for the new bass cabs in the catalogue that just went out. The real specs are much better than what's in the catalogue:

BRX18
    Freq. Res. 30 Hz to 2 kHz, +/- 3 dB; "usable" (-10 dB) to 24 Hz

BRX12
    Freq. Res. 35 Hz to 22 kHz, +/- 3 dB; "usable" (-10 dB) to 30 Hz

BRX10
    Freq. Res. 33 Hz to 22 kHz, +/- 3 dB; "usable" (-10 dB) to 26 Hz

Obviously, specs never tell the whole story, and the ears will be, and should be, the final arbiters. Still and all, specs are indicative of some things, and as far as they go, these are pretty serious specs, especially considering that the prices ranges from $529.99 for the BRX18 to $699.99 for the BRX10. I'd certainly be interested in checking these out.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I disagree that the RedLine stuff is crap. However, that doesn't really matter, tonal taste being as subjective as it is. I'd simply point out that if you liked the PB300, you may like the new amp, as it's reputed to sound closer to the older ProBass line than to the RedLines. And the idea of available power in the four figures has just gotta feel good.