Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New CARVIN thread!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Thats it I'm going with Carvin! I need recommendations.

Here is my requirements again. I play in a large church sanctuary, poor acoustics, large hollow wood stage.
    I rarely have to move my rig so weight is not much of a problem.

I play a Fender Jazz and prefer warm round tones over crisp top end.

I don't ever want to have problems being loud enough or getting a crappy sound again.

Cyclops or the 600W head with a 2x10 and 1x15?

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If you buy them sepperately get the R1000 rather than the 600... it's just a bit more.

I would recommend the Redeye Combo rather than the cyclops. It has the 2x10 built in and Carvin sells a set with the redeye and a 1x18.

For me, I would take the combo + 1x18 rather than the stack.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

count - Maybe we usually play the same rooms - big, (900-4000 capacity by fire code), and filled with people, ("sound baffles"; I guess yours aren't dancing, though ;) ), and don't have to move my rig much.

I have the RL1018 and the Cyclops, but I use the stack mostly. To me, the R600 head is just too much head for the box it powers. When you want to get some real volume, which it can, and lots of bass boost, the cab farts out. And my Cyclops is barely 3 months old, while my RL1018 is significantly older, although still the Series II.

I'm not saying get the RL1018, as that would probably be overkill. I'm saying that I think the RL610 you're talking about would be preferable, to me, over the RL6815 Cyclops, for the application you described. It should be all you need and more.

Here's an oddity about the Carvin pricing you might want to consider. The RC210-18 is actually cheaper than the RL610, even though you're getting the same rig except with an 18" instead of a 15". Maybe it's not as popular as the rig with the 15", the RL610, since they have it squooshed into a tiny box next to the much larger pic of the RC210, and the RL610 takes up half of a page. A lot of people seem to buy the stuff with the largest pictures in the catalog, from some posts I've seen at their board, (I know some must barely glance over the spec's).

My Cyclops is mainly used for practice and rehearsal. I just think there's too much pressure in that cab for the head. The separate cabs of the other amps seem to make a big difference, IMO.

4. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i would definitely go with the r600 2x10 1x15 over the cyclops. costs more, but sounds better, easier to move, and easier to upgrade (change heads, different cabs, etc.) than the cyclops.

i have a dilemma of my own - carvin r1000 and 8x10 or a GK 700RB and 4x10RBS. anyone have any opinions there?

5. I would definatly say get the R600 (or R1000) with the 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. I had a Carvin 1x18 and found it to be too muddy, but there 1x15 sounds good.

To captainpabst:

I would go with the Carvin setup I have an R1000 head that I love, have beaten the hell out of without any problems, is very flexible, etc.

And from what I hear the new 8x10 is a very cool cabinet, especially for the dough.

6. i would get a GK 800RB and a 2x10 and 1x15 and biamp. i haven't heard great things about the gk cabs.

7. I see that the R1000 is not that much more than the R600 but I am on a very tight budget.

If the R600 is powerful enough for my application I would rather get it.

Is it enough power to get a nice tone and good volumn without having to crank it up to "eleven"? :^)

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have the RC210 and am very pleased with it. I'm pretty sure the R600 head will be enough power for you, but personally I would spend the extra $100 or so if you can to get the R1000. You can never have too much power and some day you may actually need all 1000 watts.

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm with Phat Ham on this one... I also own the RC210. At the time I ordered it, I inquired about changing the amp to use an R1000, but Carvin would not do this... So, the RC210 was it.lenty of power, and I can't complain about it's reliability, (The things a workhorse, never lets me down...), but the added wattage would be nice. Ya can never have too much power!!!

-robert

10. rickbass

The only bitching about the R600 that I've seen, (and I've seen many posts), is one that I share - the noise gate is useless. It definitely works, but it cuts your volume on and off, when you have a rest/pause and start playing again.

The R600 has power in spades. I just have the R1000 in addition to it for the 18" and, that's how the amp came.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have the RC210-18. This week, I'll be replacing the R600 with the R1000. Carvin won't take the amp back separately from the combo, and they will NOT sell the RC210 with an R1000 as someone had mentioned. :rolleyes:

I don't know why, I would think they should at least offer the option. After all, when most of your business is mail order only, why not give the customers what they want? Oh well...

This rig is already loud. I can't wait to put the R1000 in it for the extra added headroom. I'll be able to squeeze that much more clean sound out of it when driving it harder than I do now.

Besides, allthough I think 250 watts is fine for the 210, an 800 watt 18 would like at least a few hundred watts in my opinion. Since I bi-amp, these 4 ohm cabs will get 350 each.

As for the R600, it's still brand new so I may sell it. If I decide to keep it, I will bridge mono to the 18. A full 600 watts to the 18 would be thunderous! :D

12. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think I suggested it. Thanks for the follow-up. Maybe Carvin doesn't want the liability of people smoking their 2x10's with the R1000. It's certainly capable of that.
    I believe you an I have similar situations. The 1x18 is not particularly efficient, IMO, so it really needs at least 300-500 watts to make a decent boom.
    And if that isn't enough, there are louder (more efficient) speakers out there than the Carvin 1x18!

- Mike

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing this and it's funny that your post in the other thread came up right around the same time. I mean, for the incremental cost v. power to get the R1000, I just had to do it.

I thought about the 210 too, you know, giving it that much power. I don't give it too much in the deep end, so I'm thinking it will be good to go. Running it full range by itself though, that may be something for me to watch.

Thanks for sending that schematic too Mike. I was in a rush when I first checked the email, and I can't recall if I sent a reply. :)

14. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, got your reply. Relative to powering the 2x10, better safe than sorry - so you are being appropriately cautious.

Let me know whether my diagram is understandable enough. I hope it is. Again, I may post it when I get around to doing a review of the Redline heads.

- Mike

15. rickbass

The review of your Eden was good stuff. It appears Rabe may have beaten Nordschow at the volume game, but not when it comes to tone, (although I think both are very fine).

16. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    sup MikeyD

I recall you run full range all the time, so I thought I would ask you this before I receive my unit.

Seeing as how their 210 is rated @ 400, and the R1000 puts out 350 into 4 ohms...

1) How high do you set your High and Low amp to begin with? I leave both of mine at 12 o'clock usually, or sometimes drop the High down to 10 or 11 o'clock(cuz I bi-amp :) ). I don't know much about gain staging, so I have been leaving them around 12 o'clock.

2) Given your answer to #1, how high will you go with the master volume? I'm curious what your experience has been with the R1000 driving this 210. Has there been a point at which you felt the 210 was driven too hard and you backed off a bit? And if so, do you recall where you had the amp and master volume set?

17. Can one of you guys explain these different modes please. I think I understand bi-amp and bridged mono but whats full range?

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Bi amped usually means sending the high frequencies to one amp and speaker cab and low frequencies to another amp and speaker cab. the frequencies are split by electric crossover.

Full range means sending everything high and low to every amp and speaker cab you are using.

Bridged mono means you are using both sides of a stereo amp together as ONE increasing the power to one (I think) speaker cab.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

19. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks, Rick - glad you enjoyed it. I always enjoy your posts, but I'm clueless about Rabe. Can you clue me in? (Others may not be aware that N. is the founder of Eden, as I recall.)
    - Mike

20. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    My settings have changed over time. Regarding your concern about power to the 2x10, at the time I had the Ch.2 gain to it at 12:00, and the master at maybe 11:30-12:00. The important thing to note is I was running my 1x18 on the bottom with the same settings and still having trouble hearing myself over my drummer! I was running it full-range (because I needed the 2x10 to help the inefficient 1x18 on the bottom) and clipping more than I like. Awhile later I started to notice a very subtle rub in the voice coil of one of the 10" drivers. I had to replace it, and since then have been more cautious about it. Note that the R1000 can probably approach more than 600 watts/ch. into 4 ohms if you clip it hard.

Well, I think I answered this in the first paragraph, but I'll go on to say that I've changed my settings a bit. After overdriving a mixer board with my R600 DI during a recent recording, I came to set my preamp down to "3" (about 10:30, I think). I use passive basses and the passive input. I regularly put the main up at 5 (12:00) or even almost 6, and both Ch.1 and Ch.2 gain at about 7 (2:00) when I'm using the 1x18 and 2x10, respectively. It is very interesting to note that when I replace the 1x18 with my new Eden 2x15, I only need the Ch.1 set at 5 vs. 7, and it's still louder than the 1x18! This reinforces my comments in another thread about the Eden regarding efficiency of the cabinets.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I think the R1000 can drive the 2x10 off one channel without a problem as long as you (a) try to keep the low bass out so the cones don't fly through the grille, and (b) avoid clipping or overdrive distortion as much as possible. If you bi-amp, the lows won't get to the 2x10 (unless you reverse the speaker connections!) anyway.

- Mike