Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Case, Weird Smell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DanNowhere, Aug 8, 2002.

1. I just bought myself a new bass last week (Fender J), but it didn't come with the Fender case. The store threw in a free SKB case with the deal, but I noticed it has a weird, unpleasant (to me) odor; kind of a sickeningly-sweet, chocolatey/coffee kind of smell, I guess, pretty hard to describe.

It probably wouldn't bother most people, but my nose is pretty sensitive, and it's actually starting to make the bass smell like it too. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Leave the case open and just air it out? Baking soda maybe?

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Fabric softener/dryer sheets. Close one in the case without the bass for awhile, then leave a fresh one in there with your bass. Worked (and still does) for me.

3. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Does it kind of smell like roses that you leave out and they die and then you get them moist?

Heheh, I come up with the weirdest stuff to apply.

There's kind of a smell to one of my cases, but I got it used, and I think the guy smoked cigars or something. But one time it smelled like that roses thing I said and I was like, ick!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Have you tried a combination of airing it out and one of those odor eliminators? Like Fabreeze.