New CD by Forbes Best Underappreciated Jazz Musician

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Forbes Magazine in their FYI semi annual supplement has a section titled "Fifty of America's Best." The latest issue features the "Best Underappreciated Jazz Musician."

The Forbes award goes to Andy Biskin, a clarinetist, who has been on the New York jazz scene since 1991. His quintet has recently recorded "Dogmental" a CD of Biskin's compositions which vary greatly in mood, tempo and style. Forbes calls the music "a quirky and beautifully composed set of tunes which touch down all over the musical map."

I checked out the CD at where portions of five of the songs can be heard on Real Audio. This ain't your generic Kenny G album, folks. I'm certain it worth the while of jazz fans here to at least give a listen to Biskin. Some of you might even like him enough to buy "Dogmental." Biskin's acoustic bassist isn't too shabby, either.

(BTW, as the recordings folder is kind of quiet compared to others, I thought I'd post these little notices about interesting recordings in different genres as a kind of service to the folder's readers. If someone finds some recordings they like as a result, I will be happy to have been of service.)